PDA

View Full Version : LFS RIP OFF

nicholas76
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 01:15 AM
gday all ,

called up my local LFS to buy some foam and glass today.

he quoted me $12.95 for some foam ... for a 30 x 18 sheet.

unbelievable how some people try and make a dollar.

anyway long story short i purchased some foam for $2.95 from another LFS.

axelfaz
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 03:57 AM
i know what u mean nic for discus here in canberra u pay $209 for a 2" rsg and it comes with white spot $120 to $140 for a 2" bd and the list goes on.

Cameron

Mulisha
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 04:57 AM
Yeah I have a mayor reip off store were i live he sells 2" Discus for $80 and yes there most stunted fish ever they do 1 20% w/c on them and there is like 10 of them in a 3ft long 1 ft wide and 10" tall yes i said 10" tall and there will like30 other fish even 3 knifefish and a 3 pleco 8cm long maybe more now.... :?

So if you want a nice rip off shop come vist Noosa :wink:

I could say much more stuff like customer service etc but i don't want to have to buy a new keyboard from how i would have to type...

DR.V
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:22 AM
Yeah nick, we just need to shop around LFS and find the best price for what we after .... !!

goldenpigeon
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:30 AM
u here we have major rip stores! u can but a little 5cm discus which is 5 months old retarded, and stunted beyond all else comees with 3 disceases and has a lovely price tag of $60.....

thank god for G&S aquarium ;)

nicholas76
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 11:24 AM
it appears we all share similar stories then hey guys and girls.

funny thing about this same LFS.. I had given some of my runts to a friend who then sold them off privately to the same LFS owner by pure coincidence.

I went to the store and he had them marked at $89 for 2 inch when he payed only $20 for them.

laughed at him knowing what the go is with those fish yet couldnt believe the rubbish he was talking about the qualaity and origin of them.

every dog has his day !

goldenpigeon
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 11:36 AM
^ OMG!!!! what a liar! all talk no action he is! if i were you i would have told him they used to be yours just to see the look on his face! :twisted:

DR.V
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 01:06 PM
I went to the store and he had them marked at $89 for 2 inch when he payed only $20 for them.

I think thats normal for LFS to re-sell fish 3-4 times from what they purchased.
They need to cover a lot if things like rent and electricity.
I was once sell baby cichlid to LFS and was surprised of their selling price ^^

So does that makes us think twice before buying fish from LFS ?
Hehe I guess we just have to shop around for best price.

Proteus
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 09:32 PM
I see this debate from 2 sides, being a hobbyist who needs to regularly buy supplies, and someone who also works in the industry.

Sadly yes there are rip offs out there, from 2 persectives, the price expected on various items, and the quality of the product. Unfortunately there are products out there which quite simply shouldnt be allowed (due to safety reasons, or lack of manufcturer/supplier support).

Then we get to the situation where a store may have items a little more pricier than some other places (whilst still competitive) yet, what they offer in service and ongoing support far outweighs an outright saving of a few dollars.

If you know all that is required to know in relation to this hobby, by all means get the cheapest price whenever possible, however if spending a little extra cash to get solid advice, and help when required then that is the best option IMO.

I still shop around for various items, and will always do so, however I am loyal to a select few retailers and they have earnt my business due to the way in which they deal with there customers, and due to the pricing and honesty they convey as well.

Mulisha
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 11:19 PM
Yeah Proteus i know you mean I can go to my LFS that rips you off and then take a drive for 45 mins to another shop and good prices and the best customer service I have ever had.

What i mean by that is the my LFS well sells most items at higher price and I also find trying to get rid of you out of the shop and never can be wrong about anything always is RIGHT.. like i said i really hate going to the shop and now have made the choice to take the 45 min drive to other shop and get better customer service by far and also has a much better price tag and stocks lots more supplyies so you don't have to order in everything that you need.

I found i can part with alot more $$$ if the place has a good atmosphere and they also know what there talking about and also just friendly to talk... not all stuck up etc etc..

Well i think i have said my point you might be able to realte to what i am saying or maybe not...

:lol:

Proteus
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 11:25 PM
I agree with you 100%...

At the end of the day it comes down to how you are treated prior to what the prices are, you can always haggle for a better price, but try telling the store staff to smile or learn something... now that would be interesting

:wink:

nicholas76
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 04:32 AM
I agree with both of you..

in my case id rather pay full price straight up if the LFS didnt try and pee in my pocket and spin crap to me.

i have a particular dealer for marine who would tell me,, noo nick dont get these wait for better ones or nick ill sell these to you for x amount as they are smaller .

that moron offered me 12 dollar foam as mates rates.. well he wont be seing me or my associates again.

Mulisha
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 04:39 AM
LOL Nick you tell him :wink: