PDA

View Full Version : How to add minerals?

Mulisha
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 08:37 AM
I have just brought some Seachem Equilibrium for my rain water as it has no trace or salts etc in the water so i needed to add them.

I have just brought this product as well as Alkaline buffer and was thing is there a cheaper way to add minerals to the water becuase this Equilibrium costs lots and i use fairly fast as for the alkaline buffer it is working great and i have to use close to nothing to get KH4 and a PH of 7.2 so that's fine.

If anyone at all nows anyway of adding minerals to ya water so this hobby stays a little cheaper...

Thanks in advane and here is a link for the Seachem Stuff if you wanted to know whats in it.

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Equilbrium.html

Ben
Mon Dec 12, 2005, 09:25 PM
Rick, i just had a look at that website,

Guaranteed Analysis (Amounts per 1 g)
Soluble Potassium (K20) 23.0%
Calcium (Ca) 8.06%
Magnesium (Mg) 2.41%
Soluble Iron (Fe) 0.11%
Soluble Manganese (Mn) 0.06%

Those elements could be bought singularly and made up to the exact percentage, inetial cost would cost a few dollars but long term you would save heaps......

HTH

Ben

dreamer
Mon Dec 12, 2005, 09:40 PM
how about just add tap water?

Mulisha
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 12:08 AM
Hey thanks for ya replys adding tap water at a 50/50 mix would be to hard to do so i can't do that :?

And what minerals juvinile discus really need do they need all that ?
And could i add say Seachem Florish to the water it has all that and more in it or is that completly different i'm not to sure..

Well i don't know if you ever have see this before but at my LFS they a white block it's called a calicium block and would that add enough minerals to the water maybe but even that will be costly $8 and replace it every 2 weeks maybe week :?

Well if anyone knows any other ways of adding minerals to the water please let me know :!:

I am also using this to buffer my water would this contain minerals already "Seachem Alkaline Buffer"

LINK:http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/AlkalineBuffer.html

Thanks everyone that can help me out...

CHEERS :wink:

dreamer
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 12:15 AM
maybe try less tap water say 30/70?
seachem fluorish is plant fertiliser

Mulisha
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah i know seachem florish is fert but becuase it contains all the minerals and calicium etc i thought you could use that to add the minerals etc to the water :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think i will just have to fork out like $30 a month of minerals to add to the water :?

Has anyone got any suggestions for me please?

Any more thoughts at all LOL... :wink:

fishgeek
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 05:16 PM
i have never kept discus
and was wondering why you would want minerals in the water, shouldnt the fish get minerals/trace elemnets for growth from their food

to my inexperienced ear it sounds like suggesting babies need calcium in the air to grow

andrew

fishgeek
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 09:41 PM
does anyone know?

G-1000
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:25 PM
Hey There,

Trace elements are usually added into the water because they can be utilised by the fish during respiration etc. i.e - not only just when the fish is eating.

Promotes better health.

G

Mulisha
Fri Dec 23, 2005, 05:11 AM
Cheers G :wink:

fishgeek
Fri Dec 23, 2005, 07:35 AM
do you have a reference for that G

andrew

i was only aware of ion exchange as an excretory and osmotic mechanism accross the gills