PDA

View Full Version : 3ft Discus Tank.(Updated Pictures)

Mulisha
Thu Dec 08, 2005, 03:23 PM
Here are some pics of my discus tank that has been up and running for 3 weeks now. :D

These Discus are Red Turks there are 4 of them and was woundering when are these discus ment to start getting some colour there almost 14 weeks old and these pics is are of a couple of them and there all like this.

I will show you a picture of one of my discus at the 13 week old stage.

Then show you a picture of axl 10 weeks old Blue Turks and you can see a huge difference between them both!!

Mine are much smaller and much much less colour then axl and yes i know there different strains but was woundering could these guys be stunted or disseased or something ?

Thanks heaps in advance for ya replys :D

axl
Thu Dec 08, 2005, 10:31 PM
as i said to ya yesterday i think the difference is the beefheart as i am feeding them bh and your not at thtis stage. What is everyone else opinion
cheers axl

Trebs
Thu Dec 08, 2005, 11:48 PM
Mulisha that's how much colour a Turk should be showing at 13 weeks and they don't look stunted either (eye size to body is fine). Are we sure Axl's fish are 10 weeks old? They look older than that to me.

axl
Thu Dec 08, 2005, 11:50 PM
I am positive they are 10 weeks old i purchased them of ben when they were 8 weeks old and i hjave had them for nearly 3 weeks now

Mulisha
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 01:13 AM
Hope some more people reply :wink:

Heaps of input would be good thanks :P

G-1000
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:56 AM
Mulisha,

Have you got your water tested? If so post the readings here and also, I know axl feeds beefheart to his fish, but what are you feeding yours and how often do you feed them etc?

G

DR.V
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 06:10 AM
Hei nice tank Rick, I was just thinking it would be better if you dont use sponge filter.

It look a bit ugly if you can see the sponge filter in the tank, instead put in more plants and use hang on or cannister filter.

Just a thought ^^

Mulisha
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 07:16 AM
Yeah that's a good point won't be to much longer about 3 weeks and should have a 5'x18"x18" set up to move then into with 3 new Red Dragons and maybe 2 blue diamonds :lol: :lol: :lol:

CHEERS...

Any more thoughts on colour and size etc between axl and my fish :shock: :?:

goldenpigeon
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 07:35 AM
Rick,

out of personal experience my fish grow much much faster in a bare bottom tank with lots of filtration and lots of very large water changes.... daily - every second day. i find that the best results come from and staple diet of beefheart mix and a dry food as their other major part of the diet. i dont really mess around with bloodworms to much as i find they are good to start discus on but dont provide very good growth - just my experience. discus also grow well if the water params are kept constant.

i think your discus are showing excellent colour and growth thoagh ;) keep up with the good work and hope your new BH mix works out for you :D

Mulisha
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 07:58 AM
Thanks man yeah apart from the large mess from the making of the BH mix i think it turned out well and hope these discus some along just nicely :wink: as there my first discus so not exspecting a miracle :shock:

Thanks for everyones support :lol:

I'll keep ya posted on them :wink:

Dee
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 09:27 AM
G'day Rick,

Nice little Red Turq you have there mate, I think I remember a post by you saying you got your RT's from Rod Lewis ? If that's the case, there's definatly no concern about how your RT's will colour up. Here's one I got from Rod that was exactly the same size and colour yours is when I got him. He's about 5-6inch (not inc tail) and around 11months old and still colouring up. So with good food and WC's your little guys will be awsome when the mature :wink: remember that diff strains all colour up at diff rates ... try waiting for some of the SS strains to fully colour up hahaha

As for the size diff between your and axl's fish, judging by the photo axl's fish look older IMHO ... going by pelvic fin and eyes size, but having said that I know Ben feeds heavily and has a pretty heavy WC schedule. At the end of the day I would say axl's are older :?: your's looks younger as far as eye development if that makes sense ?

Cheers,

Dee :)

Mulisha
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 09:34 AM
Hey thanks soooo MUCH Discus D for you reply have made me feel so much better and I have just finished making some BH mix and just feed them it and WHOA did they eat it fast like it was KFC or Hungry Jacks lol they had fat little bellys so hope that all passes through :wink:

And yes when I first saw AXL discus I thought his were older but like u said BEN is the king of WC and feeding if u know what i mean..

Thanks for showing me your LOVELY discus has such nice colours and pattern if mine turn out anything like that would be awersome..

Thanks again :D

Mulisha
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:16 PM
Here is a picture of the Parents of 8 of my red turks i now have getting ready to go in the 5ft :wink:

These pictures don't show awersome these fish look and these fish are massive would be easily 7" :shock:

Merrilyn
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:45 PM
Don't worry about the colour of your fish Rick. The colour is there in the parents, and your juvies will develop colour in their own good time. Some strains colour up later than others.

Mulisha
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks Merrilyn hope my fish turn out well everything takes time now i gota sit back and relax :wink:

Mulisha
Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:34 AM
Updated Pictures

You can see the colours kinda comming through :roll:

Mulisha
Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:34 AM
One more.

goldenpigeon
Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:44 AM
they look fantastic rick! congrats man!

Mulisha
Thu Dec 15, 2005, 10:18 AM