PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Species

precarious_panther
Thu Dec 08, 2005, 02:24 PM
Hi All,
I'm looking for some of the more difficult to obtain FRESHWATER shrimp species - some of which most likely can not be imported into Australia (Damn you ecodiversity!). I'm not specifically after rare species, all freshwater small non aggressive species I'm intrested in.

If anybody has any of the more intresting ones (i.e not the standard 'glass' ones that are themselves a pain to get a hold of in Sydney) or knows where to source them PLEASE let me know! I am more than happy to have them shipped from interstate (even international through legal suppliers and quarenteens).

SLS, if you are able to import any of the more intresting species please let me know as I'd love to order them through you if possible!

Anyway here is a list of some that I am intrested in - however these are just examples and im really looking for anything!

snowball shrimp - Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis "white"
Caridina zebra
Paratya australiensis
Caridina cf nilotica
Macrobrachium australience
Macrobrachium rosenbergii
Red Cherry Shrimp - Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (red)
Crystal Red Shrimp - Caridina sp. "Crystal Red"
Tiger Shrimp - Caridina sp. "Tiger"
Green Shrimp - Caridina cf. babaulti
"Ninja" Shrimp - Caridina serratirostris

Cheers,
Adam

precarious_panther
Thu Dec 08, 2005, 02:26 PM
... for some reason this forum filters out the word D A M N which makes my original post sound a LOT ruder than it actually is... Note to replace the *stars* with D A M N not F * * K!

kevkoi
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:54 AM
Adam, from that list:
are both Australian Natives from QLD to Northern regions of Australia. M.rosenbergii we have had on occasion before. These are usually available in summer as long clawed FW prawns.

Paratya australiensis
also an Australian Native... Bring on that net and go try your luck at some river or stream. These do not exactly have a commercial value and hence not often sold.
http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=74

The rest are inverts from other parts of the world... in short meaning they are not legally importable. I've only once seen C.japonica in Aust at ridiculous prices... and for a shrimp that cannot be bred, the price WAS ridiculous!

We'll keep an ear out for you, but most of what u are asking for are going to be like a long shot to obtain in Aust.

kev

Hi All,
I'm looking for some of the more difficult to obtain FRESHWATER shrimp species - some of which most likely can not be imported into Australia (**** you ecodiversity!). I'm not specifically after rare species, all freshwater small non aggressive species I'm intrested in.

If anybody has any of the more intresting ones (i.e not the standard 'glass' ones that are themselves a pain to get a hold of in Sydney) or knows where to source them PLEASE let me know! I am more than happy to have them shipped from interstate (even international through legal suppliers and quarenteens).

SLS, if you are able to import any of the more intresting species please let me know as I'd love to order them through you if possible!

Anyway here is a list of some that I am intrested in - however these are just examples and im really looking for anything!

snowball shrimp - Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis "white"
Caridina zebra
Paratya australiensis
Caridina cf nilotica
Red Cherry Shrimp - Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (red)
Crystal Red Shrimp - Caridina sp. "Crystal Red"
Tiger Shrimp - Caridina sp. "Tiger"
Green Shrimp - Caridina cf. babaulti
"Ninja" Shrimp - Caridina serratirostris

Cheers,
Adam

precarious_panther
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that kev, keep an eye out for any of the caridina family, as I'd love to get some of them.

The following species I've heard are native to Australia (and othe regions):
Caridina serratirostris - (Ninja Shrimp)
Caridina gracilirostris - (Green)
and australatya striolata - (Rifle Shrimp)

Hopefully I've found a source in QLD who can ship them. Still if anybody does come across any other intresting ones please let me know!

-Adam

Reillin
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 01:31 AM
We are fortunate enough to be still one of the continents that are free from a certain crustacean virus (sorry forgotten the name). But this virus has previously devastated stocks in other countries. Again, I am not totally certain on any of this but I have read it somewhere. Just food for thought.

Cheers,
Vien.

precarious_panther
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 02:49 AM
Hi Reillien,
I was just kidding about the ecodiversity comment and I understand completely why we have such stringent measures in place to prevent those kinds of things entering our ecosystem.

There are however quite a few species of shrimp native to Australia which are suited to aquaria - and these are the species I'm after :)

Cheers
-Adam