PDA

View Full Version : Penang Eruptions

G-1000
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 11:46 AM
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me why some penang eruptions have a black bar down their face, yet other penang eruptions do not show any barring at all ?

Does this change with age or is it more likely to be genetic ?

G

G-1000
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 01:37 AM
And by bars down the face I dont mean stress bars. I have noticed some eruptions that have no evidence of barring at all, yet others have a lot.

dreamer
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 01:40 AM
not all created equally ... thats why

kevkoi
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:02 AM
the bar dissapears with maturity. Feeding young fish laced food such as CR6 can make the bar fade.

G-1000
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:17 AM
Ah cheers Kev!

You are always the man with all the answers.

G

Ben
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:16 PM
the bar dissapears with maturity. Feeding young fish laced food such as CR6 can make the bar fade.

CR6 is a synthetic formula used to artificially color enhance discus temporarily.

I would rather have natural discus with the predominant stress bar over the face plate than have discus fed with cheating color enhancers that could prove fatal in the near future.

Ben

G-1000
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:40 AM
Yeh,

I gotta agree with you Ben. I hate seeing any fish colour fed on anything. Its not as if we are forced to eat stuff to change colours so why do it to your prized fish ?

G

skoom
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:09 PM
who would feed their fish hormone anyway?

nicholas76
Sat Dec 10, 2005, 12:21 AM
Some Farms and LFS distributors that are only concerned about the quick $$

kevkoi
Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:02 AM
I don't know about CR6 being a 'hormone'.... Even in Andrew Soh's book, CR6 is talked about and recommended cautiously. The manufacturer claims that the product does not contain hormone so any talk of it being hormone based is purely speculation.

The use of Methyle-testosterone, a male hormone on the other hand is a different matter.

Andrew Soh
Mon Dec 12, 2005, 01:23 PM
Hi,

In my book, I have to enlighten on possible colour-enhancers used in the market.

For CR6, I am not recommending neither am I doing it cautiously. I am only making a statement that CR6 can enhance the Red spots of the LSS and suggested that using methyl-Testosterone @ the dosage recommended in my book may yield the same result.

In fact, many breeders are very wary about the effect of CR6 but the manufacturer in Thailand insisted and claimed that the product has no hormone ....maybe steriod???...I don't know. I am sure he is also looking into forums...maybe this one thread.......since he is producing discus products and can affirm that his product doesn't have hormone nor cause side-effect.

Best would be for him to confirm with scientific analysis of his CR6 and post the result worldwide. If his claim is true...that is advantage and a benefit to him as most of the hobbyists and breeders will revert to using it for all their discus...big business.

Maybe a little bit is harmless.....I know many breeders and LFS are still using it...whether it is in Penang, Singapore, Australia or the rest of the world. Worried about the side effect, some mix a little ratio together with more carophyll pink.

Take care,
Andrew

Merrilyn
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 06:38 AM
Thanks Andrew and Kev for those comments.

Tycoon
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 11:46 AM
Hello Andrew :wink:

Here in Germany your book is also very popular. It`s something quite
special because you write more than all other ones.

Can you still remember me?

Best wishes!

Andy

Andrew Soh
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 12:12 PM
Sorry Andy,

Not quite...cannot recall. Is it really true that my book is popular in Germany? I only sold very little in Germany and furthermore, it is in english....I hope I can sell more :cry:

Maybe when I am in Duisburg, I can bring along and sell some......if they invite me as one of the judges :oops:

Thanks for the information buddy and take care,
Andrew :angel

Tycoon
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 01:38 PM
Hi Andrew!

Yes, your book is really very popular in Germany, it is true.
Who has read it loves it. The problem is, everybody doesn't know your
book. You should make more advertising here. One becomes the fair in
Duisburg this year being very good advertising for your book. I am
convinced of it. Perhaps we become for us at the fair!

It would be good even if your book would be translated into German, you
would be so still mention a larger audience!

Best wishes!

Andy

Andrew Soh
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 11:14 PM
Yes Andy,

Maybe I should try to find a space/booth in the exhibition in Duisburg to promote my book......but paying for a booth is very expensive. May not recover cost. Best is to share with someone or borrow a small table space...he!he!

Maybe we can have :coffee in Duisburg?

If Australia has a good discus show, I might just do that.

Thanks Andy,
Andrew :angel

Tycoon
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 09:41 AM
Hallo Andrew!

One stood it`s expensive to rent in Duisburg. Perhaps you should under:
www.diskusportal.de enquires whether somebody is interested to share a
stand. I can introduce this to me the one or other is interested. Many
would like very much to share a stand with such a tall author certainly!

Many greeting!

Andy

Andrew Soh
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 02:31 AM
So Andy....my buddy (now calling you buddy..he!he!he! vested interest),

So help me to make the connection , ya? German Portal...keep having problem...cannot read German and sometimes the Google translation fails me...

Help, ya????

For translation of my book to German...love to...but...too expensive..

Thanks a million,
Andrew