PDA

View Full Version : copper tubing

Bad Inferno
Mon Dec 05, 2005, 12:44 PM
I want to run a permenant line from my water storage to the inside tank...The line will only be used when filling and emptying and I will empty before I fill thus flushing the line first.

Do you think copper would leach out of copper tubing enough to cause problems ? after all our houses run copper tubing !

fishgeek
Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:43 PM
it is a possibilty
especially if using r/o or very pure water that is acidic as heavy metals will dissolve more readily in this

if the water is sitting in the pipe then copper willaccumulate to some degree
perhaps you could run a test and put the actual wate rin contact with copper piping for a longer than you would normally length of time and then get someone to measure the copper levels in the water

household water supply usually has additives which increase the pH and reduce the corrosive effect on any metal piping

andrew
ps if you want toxic levels fro copper let me know

Ben
Mon Dec 05, 2005, 10:32 PM
Very good points Andrew.

I would think it would be ok if the copper pipe is completly flushed of any water that has settled in it.

Aswell cold water would be a lot safer than hot water.

If it all possible can you use some other type of tubing?

Ben

DarrenJThomas
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 01:40 AM
I have been using copper piping for mains water for over 5 years now and not had a problem. The other product that they use in new houses now is called "rehow" which is a pvc/plastic piping. The only difficulty with this product is that you need special tool to connect to junctions / taps. I like copper with nylon kinko adaptors, much easier and can be done with a shifter.

fishgeek
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 06:13 PM
sorry bit off topic but what is your tap water like in aus?
i went to school in bris-vegas and have been in london for 10 yrs
water here is hard and alkaline no good for my prefered choice of fish( i like apisto's )

maybe i should move back home for things other than the sun and sea

andrew

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 09, 2005, 07:11 AM
Ahhhhh Andrew. We have the best water in the world here. Melbourne water out of the tap is very soft and with a neutral pH. Ideal for discus and apisto's.

Folks from other states might like to post their tap water too.