PDA

View Full Version : How to Stop Discus breeding!!!

marlbred05
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 11:06 PM
Hi everyones,

okie this is silly but how do I stop or slow my red pair to breed ?... It laid eggs nearly every week and I don't want the female to stress out. And I want to have time to raise fry. Any tips will be welcome since I am only very new to Discus.

thanks
t.k

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 02, 2005, 05:22 AM
Hello Marlbred, well it's kind of nice to have such a problem, but I understand your position.

First, remove the breeding cone from the tank, and cut your water changes down to one every second day, instead of daily. If they continue to lay on the glass or the bottom of the tank, they you'll need to destroy the eggs as soon as you see them.

Slowly dropping the temperature down to about 27 will also discourage breeding activity.

As a last resort, you may need to separate the pair. I'm reluctant to do any thing like this, because it can break the pair bond, and affect your future breeding plans. Hopefully, just removing the cone and dropping the temperature will be enough to discourage them from breeding again too soon.

Ben
Mon Dec 05, 2005, 10:46 PM
t.k you are very lucky!
many others try and try to get a spawning with out any sucess!

The fool proof method to stop them from breeding is to seperate the male from the female!

But following Ladyreds suggestions this will slow them down a bit!

Ben

G-1000
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 01:50 AM
Physically taking the male away from the female is the only guaranteed way.

Perhaps you could try adding some beer into your beefheart mix (kiddin) lol. Nah that would have the opposite effect. lol

G