PDA

View Full Version : Eggs !

Roy
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 11:38 AM
Well i had my first lot of eggs two nights ago, then they ate them while i was at work :(
Did a water change tonight, might prompt some more spawning.
Now i have to think about setting up another tank as they are in the community tank.
But i want to see if i get fertilised eggs before i do anything.
So excited :D

Roy

Ben
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 11:40 AM
Well done Roy!!!
thats great news mate!!

What sort of discus are they?

keep us posted mate!

Cheers
Ben

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 02, 2005, 05:39 AM
Great news Roy. They are well on the way to successful breeding. I allow my pairs to breed several times in the community tank before moving them into a breeding tank. I believe it strengthens the pair bond, and in the end makes them better parents.

Definately get a breeding tank ready, so that you can transfer the pair when you are ready for a serious breeding attempt.

I like to use 2 x 18 x 18 with just a cone, heater and sponge filter, and daily water changes. Seems to work well.

Good luck.

Roy
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 06:27 AM
Well they have spawned a few times this week and eaten the eggs everytime.
When i checked this afternoon they were cleaning anubias leaves and shimmering again :D
Going tank shopping next weekend so should be able to get things setup over xmas.
Oh they are just blue turks about 3.5" - 4" so still a little small.

Roy

TeeFM
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 07:56 AM
Nice job Roy.

I had same situation earlier when my pair started to breed in the community tank. They ate their eggs every time. Now, I have seperate them to a breeding tank of 2x18x18. They spawned for the first time in new tank yesterday. I think once you seperate your pair to a breeding tank, some wrigglers should be on the way soon. Well, at least, I hope this will happen to me soon.

Mulisha
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 10:25 AM
Good Luck mate with your breeding :wink:

Hope all goes the way it should i don't know if this is correct but are u meant to worm and fluke your fish before breeding them then the babies will have a lower % of catching flukes and could cause death?

Maybe Merrilyn or Ben or someone else with some knowlege on this could help? :oops:

chris
Sun Dec 11, 2005, 11:36 AM
Hey Roy its so exciting when you get rewarded for your hard work.
I tend to agree practice makes perfect. I give my pairs plenty of attempts in a community take firsts, its a good way of telling if you have a good pair or not and this also means you wont be waiting for ages to spawn in a separate tank,
Good Luck with your breeding :wink: