PDA

View Full Version : Dark dark discus

Kenneth
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 07:32 AM
Hi guys. Ive got a problem. I got some discus(5) about 4 months ago (they were from the same batch of fry) and they were fine, the water was fine, and I was generally really happy. But as the others started growing, this particular one started going dark. At first it was still eating but got darker. Now, it is really dark and not eating at all. I feed blood worms, brine shrimp and color bits.

He has to be sick. But I see no signs of spots or constant 'flicking'. I haven't noticed any white poo either, but that could be because he's not eating. Please help me help him. What could be the problem?? :(

Ben
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 12:39 PM
Kenneth
Welcome to the forum!

Your healthy fish look great!

I will put my self on a limb here but i would like to see what ladyred/Merrilyn thinks.

I have not experienced this self but have helped a good friend with the same problem. As the fish is that dark and looks very sickly it might be worthless trying to medicate the little guy.
No matter how much medication is used it will not fix the fish/problem as there is a point of no return.

At this stage i would like to see what others think as what can be done.

Sorry i can not help.

Ben

DarrenJThomas
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 08:19 PM
Just a couple of things

1. Did you purchase the fish from the LFS.
2. How long ago did the fish stop eating.
3. Have you treated for worms.

Kenneth
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks Ben, it's alright.

Just a couple of things

1. Did you purchase the fish from the LFS.
2. How long ago did the fish stop eating.
3. Have you treated for worms.

I purchased the fish from a friend who had a load of wrigglers. I got them when they were a bit more than 1 month old. (He has his many many discus in his garage, and is all healthy)
My battler of a friend hasn't eaten in about 2 weeks. He keeps putting stuff in his mouth and then spitting it out. :? :cry: Now he doesn't even chase the food.
I have treated for gill flukes and tapeworms, and parasites. None seem to be working.

Ive asked a couple of friends (who have had Discus for quite some time) to no avail. I'm afraid if he doesn't get better real soon, I'll have to put him down, coz I just know he's suffering and I really don't want him to suffer any more than he has to. :(

DarrenJThomas
Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:21 AM
Im with ben on this one.

I think that some fish become part of the natural selection process and no matter what you do the fish dosent get better.

Good Luck

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 02, 2005, 04:44 AM
Hello Kenneth and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that your first post is about your sick fish.

The remaining fish look fat and healthy, but I'm afraid, I think you've done all you can for the little sick fish. I'ts possible that you could improve his health with strong doses of Metro, but now that he has stopped eating, I personally feel that you would simply be prolonging the inevitable.

I believe that some fish simply develop a wasting disease, where they go dark, hang in the shaded corners of the tank and refuse all food, till they finally die.

Sadly, I think the kindest thing you can do for this little fellow is to humanely put him to sleep.

clothahump
Fri Dec 02, 2005, 12:19 PM
Quite possibly Spironucleus looking at the fish, was there any sign of white stringy faeces???