PDA

View Full Version : Courting behaviour

phear
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 12:47 AM
Hey guys i bought my first pair of breeding discus they are (male red anancier) female is a blue turk. I bought them the other nite and they were going to lay that nite. i got them as well as the tank setup. they have been courting for 24hours how long can this go on for before they lay?

Jamie

mcloughlin2
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:53 AM
It all depends on if they have laid b4 or not.....the courting can last 4 days, weeks or even months..!

The move would have probably disrupted them so it mite be a few weeks before they lay again....

HTH. :D

phear
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 05:04 AM
they have layed and raised there own fry. they were due and going to lay the nite i got them. they were scared etc when i had them for a couple of days now they know me and come to top of tank when i come as they think i have food..

they seem settled in to me and the courting is still going on.. they will prob lay when i go to work now knowing my luck ill miss out on seeing it.

Jamie

mcloughlin2
Sat Dec 03, 2005, 12:46 AM
Just because they were due to lay eggs the night u got them doesnt mean that they will breed for u...it may be weeks before they lay again...or they might never lay eggs again...it all depends....just becasue they breed for the previous owner doesnt mean that they will breed for u....

But as long as they are fed well, their water is near perfect and the water changes are kept up, u should have them spawning in a few weeks.... :D

Ben
Mon Dec 05, 2005, 10:38 PM
Any news on the pair Jamie?

keep us posted mate!

I have personally found a couple may court for some time by shimming thier fins and body.

When they get closer to actual spawning they will start giving the breeding substrate a good cleaning.

cheers
Ben

phear
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 06:52 AM
still have not layed but the courting is getting alot more and ive been doing daily wc and put a sheet over the tank so they dont get too spooked by me and my gf as they are in my room.
will let u know what happens.

Jamie

nicholas76
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 07:10 AM
any shivering?

phear
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:54 AM
yes they were like just shivering before but yesterday and today the shivering is almost like they are having a spazom! and alot of "bowing at each other"
and they occasionally clean pvc and glass and peck at each other..

Merrilyn
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:23 PM
Hmmmm sounds like eggs within 48 hours :wink:

Mulisha
Tue Dec 06, 2005, 03:16 PM
Congrats Phear I could only wish this in about 12months time for me :wink:

Hope everything goes smoothly.. :lol:

phear
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 01:50 AM
its like the female will go and shiver near an object and the male isnt interested

then the male will do it and the female wont be interested

then they will bow and swim together... no idea whats goin on

nicholas76
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 06:49 AM
its all good mate

they are basically deciding on a spot still

she wants this spot , he wants that spot... you not far off

Mulisha
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 07:09 AM
Females will always win on there spot lol

Don't females always win :ug

Keep us posted and pics it would be great :thumb

phear
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 09:04 AM
yes females do win 90% of the time u gotta win sometimes hehe but thats good to know. i will post some pix when i ever see the digi cam damn females always go out with it..
Jamie

phear
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:00 PM
the 2 in convisation

Merrilyn
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:16 PM
Lovely looking fish Phear. Congratulations.

nicholas76
Wed Dec 07, 2005, 08:31 PM
NICE fish phear,

everyone has there own method but i like to only use one breeding cone. I find they spend less time deciding on the spot and when you do have fry theres less blind spots.

but then thats me , what do others do?

phear
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 11:27 AM
after i moved this pair to a new tank on my rack they were still courting and the female had the breeding tube out the whole time and nothing untill i went to a lfs that breeds discus he said try putting in a piece of driftwood with a plant on it so i did next thing i know they started cleaning everything in the tank then i got up this morning and there were roughly 300 eggs on the back glass but my egg eating female ate 1/2 of them will see how the rest go i have caged the rest just to see how many are fert.

Jamie

nicholas76
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 12:00 PM
a piece of drift wood with a plant?

sounds typical LFS if you ask me,,,suprised he didnt suggest you put an undergravel filter in too hehe

Good luck with the eggs hope they hatch!

Ben
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 12:11 PM
I love the male alenquer!

Should get some very nice off spring!

phear
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 12:19 PM
i hope some eggs turn out ok as the 1/2 that are left which didnt get eaten are white so im not sure if i will get anything from this spawn.

is it usual that when u get a large (300)ish spawn that alot go white or not? the male has successfully reared fry himself so he must be furtile but i didnt get to turn air down/off while laying so that may affect his job.
will let u know tomoro what happens with them
Jamie