PDA

View Full Version : What's 'standard' in tank sizes

shrimp paste
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 12:45 AM
I am planning on purchasing a couple of small tanks for breeding \ quarantine purposes. I have read the post on Discus Breeding Basics which suggests a 2ft or maximum 3ft standard. My question is what are the other dimmensions for a 2ft or 3ft standard? I have reasearched the net and can see many variances, 24"X 12"X16" = 20Gal, 24"X12"20"=25Gal, the 3ft has even more permiatations. I guess smaller is more economical for medicating and easier to do higher % water changes on a breeding tank. I would like to buy standard sizes as i may increase the number of tanks at a later stage so want to plan and build modular.
I would expect the 20Gal would be fine for a single pair of 6" parents, again assuming you are doing daily water changes.
Thanks in advance for your help.

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:09 AM
2ft )or just under) cubes are a sort of standard

anyway thats what i use LOL :wink:

shrimp paste
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:33 AM
Thanks Ryan, I noticed LadyRed prefers the 2ft cube also. That's 60gal right? That's alot more volume than the 2-3ft breeding tanks at only 20-25gals. Would you use smaller for quarantine tank? Also, are these sort-a-standard tanks sort-a-hard-to fine? hehehe You knew i was going to ask that.

Ben
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 05:02 AM
Personally i prefer 2x18x18 tanks, they hold 125 litres and are ample in size for a large breeding pair.

Cheers
Ben

Crocky
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 07:47 AM
I'm with Ben 2x18x18 tanks, a little less in height would make it easier to clean.

Brad

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 02, 2005, 05:46 AM
After trying lots of different sizes, I find that the 2 x 18 x 18 seems to be the ideal size for breeding tanks, and is not too large to use as a quarantine or hospital tank.

The beauty of that size, is that it fits nicely in racks, with a 4 x 18 x 18 tank above or below it to be used as a grow out tank for the fry.