PDA

View Full Version : Dent on the side of Discus..

Mulisha
Sat Nov 26, 2005, 11:10 PM
Hey everyone

I don't knowif this is a proble or not but when feeding fish this moring I noticed 1 of my had a dint just below there gills and above those small fins under them... my fish are 5 red turks and around the 11 week mark and all them have this but one of them seems to have it more....

I have 0 nitrate, ammonia and nitite
0.5 degree of kh
ph of 6.2

they all seem to eat but sometime one may not get as much food as the others..

PS: How do u tell if juvies are full of food or not I feed 5 tiimes a day and w/c every day like 35%...

Any help would be great thanks :?

Cheers Thanks again....

Mulisha
Sat Nov 26, 2005, 11:15 PM
And the Discus have only been in my tank for 1 week and thought becuase of the stress of moving them etc could have caught something becuase they can't fisht off disease as well...

well thanks again ....

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 08:51 AM
Here is a picture of Bens lovely turk becuase i couldn't get a clear shot of mine hope ben doesn't mind me using it :wink:

Hope this helps becuase it doesn't look right :? but the fish seems to eat though but probly not as much as the others....

CHEERS... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 09:51 AM
Hi Rick. I was quite concerned until I saw that photo. Fortunately what you have pointed out is very normal for fat little fish with a good appetite :lol:

What you are seeing is just a very fat tummy. Have a look at some of the pictures of the fish in this thread, and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4956

Those well fed fish have lovely fat tummies :wink:

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 10:04 AM
OMG thank you sooo very much Merrilyn!!

I had been stressing since I saw the dent this morning.

Thankyou very much for helping me out glad to be part of this forum :thumb

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 10:42 AM
Hey Merrilyn

I think I gave you the wrong impression :?

His stomach is more like this:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4011

Do you think feeding a bit more then 5 times a day ... i feed half a cube of bloodworms, brine shrimp, Discus dinner each time I feed them and do a 50% each day..

They are like 2" long from head to tail fin and now eat from fingers...

Thanks for your help :D

PS: the stomach is not quite as sucken in as in the link and has no head dent like in the link either......

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 11:21 AM
Rick, I think I'd be inclined to increase the amount of food at each feeding. If you are feeding half a block, I'd increase that to one block at each feeding.

Juvenile fish need more food than grown fish, because they still need energy for growth. Try the increased food, and see if that makes a difference to your fish.

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 11:25 AM
But when I feed my fish most of the food seems to go on the bottom becuase there to busy fighting each other :?

The bossy one guards his food like there is no tommorow he better do that when it's breeding time hehehehe :lol:

Have you noticed they breath hevier after eaating and seems like there taking deeper breaths lol.

Well thanks again Merrilyn

CHEERS..

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 11:40 AM
Try thawing the block of food before putting it in the tank, so that the food spreads, and doesn't just fall in one place. That way, it will be impossible for one fish to hog all the food, and everyone will get a share.

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks worked well.... and is it normal for some juvies to be dark in colour?

Cheers

clothahump
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:09 PM
Only if they are stressed or ill, are they hiding as well?

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:14 PM
they have been in my bb 3ft tank for 1 week now and they are eating out of my fingers and eating lots and hide a little bit still but two of them are a orange colour and most of them are darkish :?

clothahump
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:18 PM
Can you get some Interpet No 9? if so give them a course of that, sounds possibly like internal parasites.

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:29 PM
Umm i'm only new to discus i'm not sure what that is ... they all seem to eat so might give them a few days and see if i was under feeding them by only half a cube for each feeding i'm feeding 1 cube per feeding now so i'll see how it goes and there poo is brown like normal colour not whitish one bit ....

Thanks for ya help and concern mate :D

CHEERS..

clothahump
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:31 PM
Are their fins clamped or normal?

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:34 PM
yeah there fins look fine and there gills look like they move out and back in fine as well.... the ph is 6.2 by the way..

clothahump
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:38 PM
Dark and normally extended fins is quite often an indication of Internal Parasites.

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:41 PM
hmm so what can i treat this with and if you left them for say a week would this cause any more damage or anything because IMO i think they may be still settling in ... i'm not entirely sure though...

Benny
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:52 PM
i wouldnt be jumping to conclusions as yet...

The most common cause of death to discus, is paranoid keepers misdiagnosing problems and overmedicating their fish..

There are no where near enuf symptoms to properly diagnose internal parasites as an issue with the fish in question..

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 02:47 PM
Rick, I'd just be waiting to see if any further symptoms develop before I gave them any kind of medication. I think your fish are still settling in and sorting out the pecking order. If you still see dark colouration in another week or so, then you might like to do a routine worm treatment.

Mulisha
Sun Nov 27, 2005, 03:00 PM
alrighty thanks agian they were like a light ornage for the 1st day then got dark on like 3rd day then stayed dark and now only like two are dark i'll try take some pics tommorow as it's 1:00am lol wait i mean today lol it's morning now hehehe well i did what u said and they seem to have taken that dent out a fair bit after feeding 1 cube of brine shrimp..

CHEERS :D