PDA

View Full Version : filter question

Mattzilla
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 10:11 AM
hi guys,
i need some advice

i currently have 2 2ft cubes side bay side on a 4x2 ft stand. one has discus in it and the other has some african cihclids in it.

i am about to set up a 4x2 tank in their place and get rid of the cichlids. i have some filtration currently in the cichlid tank that i would like to add to the large tank i am getting that will soley have discus in it.

i need to know what i need to do to the current cichlid canister filter before i can add it to the discus tank? how should i clean it? i don't want to add any nasties from the cichlids to the discus tank

i hope i have made some sense

cheer
matt

Mulisha
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 10:50 AM
Well how dirty is it?

Have you got plenty of bio media and bio balls etc (You will need it).
Just make sure your african didn't have any disease or anything else along those lines.

But if everything seems fine you should leave it and save all that good bacteria and hook it up to the new 4ft tank and make sure it does the tanks water capacity atleast 4 times a hour.

Now I hope I made sense lol

HTH

GoodLuck :D

kalebjarrod
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 11:16 AM
easy peasy

just take out any shell grit or calcium carbonate you may have had in the filter

rinse bio's or noddles in old tank water

new filter wool and bingo!

easy as that

(your fish where healthy weren't they?)

Mattzilla
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 11:37 AM
yeah all the fish in the cihclid tank where healthy... no probs there

so just a good clean and it'll be right??

thanks that was easy

sharkbaitnemo
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:00 PM
I usually clean with salt water to get rid of snails and eggs. I figure any nasties that live in fresh water could not live in salt.