PDA

View Full Version : Altums in Melbourne

OscarManAlpha
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:14 PM
Spotted these guys at an aquarium in Richmond Melbourne.
The staff at Subscape in Victoria Rd were nice enough to let me take some
photo's and give me some info.

The tank size is 10ftL*4ftW*3ftH and 3000 liters. So as you can imagine these Altums are huge. In total there are 13 I would say they are between 25-30cm from top to bottom : ). The PH of the tank is 7
KH20-30ppm and GH 40ppm.

So far they have not spawned but they have shown signs of pairing up.
Perhaps as one of the staff said the tank is to busy for them to pair off in privacy.

They share the tank with a Royal whiptail, flame back bleeding hearts, Bolivian rams, Otto's and some clown loaches. Excuse the spelling. Hope you guy's enjoy the pics and if you ever find yourself close by do go and have a look the pictures really don't do these guys any justice.

OscarManAlpha
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:18 PM
Here are some more pics of them : )

Stuart
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 03:46 PM
Those guys are awesome - thanks for sharing the pics.

Mattzilla
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 09:24 PM
great pictures

Mulisha
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:19 PM
:shock: Awersome! :shock:

Thnks for the pics :D

kevkoi
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:04 AM
haha, Justin's pride and joy.... :lol:

OscarManAlpha
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:15 AM
He was there and very keen to talk about his tank, and why not it's awesome : ) They even fed them some blood worms and turned on some more lights above the tank.

kevkoi
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:20 AM
I don't believe any of them adult fish are for sale and I don't believe he's got any juvies for sale either? Correct me if I'm wrong. Need to catch up with Justin..

OscarManAlpha
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:29 AM
I think he would sooner sell he's own body parts than those guy's !!

No he didn't have any juvies for sale either.

He said he got these 2 years ago and some perished but once they got over the rough stage they became very hardy.

OscarManAlpha
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:44 AM
Somebody somewhere, will crack the code to breeding and mass production. Hopefully without losing to much of the wild beauty !!
Perhaps some of those almond leaves wouldn't hurt !!

nicholas76
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:16 PM
I remember seeing those fish as babies in that tank.

many years ago he had some Discus in there first. Been meaning to ask him how the heck he ever managed to catch them.

axelfaz
Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:52 PM
nice pics thanks for sharing

Cameron

Dee
Mon Nov 28, 2005, 04:31 AM
Hey All,

I remember seeing these guys when they first got them in about a year or so ago. I was down there last friday and checked them out again, all i can say is WOWZER ! these guys are HUGE ... the largest Altums I have ever seen. Their body alone (not inc fins) is larger than my palm ! :shock: very impressive ... I didn't realise they grew so LARGE. Anyone in Melbourne intrested in Altums should go have a look at these guys, plus the staff are very friendly and helpfull ... check em out.

Cheers,

Dee :)