PDA

View Full Version : My trip to Melbourne November 2005

OscarManAlpha
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 02:51 PM
What can I say ? I have been privileged to have been able to spend a week here in Melbourne and the weather has been perfect :D

I was fortunate enough to meet up with Merrilyn aka ladyred and Ben they showed me how Melbourne people show hospitality and it's an art.

I got to tour Ben's fishroom and it was an absolute treat. He explained to me the mechanics of how it all worked including a demonstration of his water change modes operandi. He has some beautiful large pairs and the most beautiful and plentiful offspring. I was taken aback by they're shape and uniformity in all respects including size.

To boot I got to listen to Merrilyn and Ben banter on about the Discus truly amazing stuff to hear.

The whole afternoon flashed by in the blink of an eye I was having so much fun.
My head was spinning for hours afterwards just trying to process all the conversation.

Merrilyn let me know that Sunday was going to be a big day at Boronia Aquariums. I went along and they had a fish auction which was fascinating to watch.

Later on in the day they had a seminar by Dr Richmond Loh on fish health, he is a fellow hobbyist , as well as being a vet. He went through all aspects of fish health and aquarium maintenance on all levels from beginner to advanced. He shares the same concerns as most of us regarding our hobby.

To save any confusion or misunderstanding that may become of me trying to quote some of the content of his lecture and not having noted what he said verbatim I will resist.

Except to say and keep in mind its not word for word only the gist as I heard it.
But he did stress that one really has to look at the symptoms of the fish and to make sure the water has been maintained before rushing to treat the fish. SOMETHING I FIND I HAVE TO REMIND MYSELF OF ( I'm sure most of us are guilty of forgetting to do that in the first place sometimes ) Even though most of us have been advised not to.

He also spoke of the importance of trying to source fish that are well bred and haven't been treated to a barrage of chemicals before they are put into the hobbyists TLC.

He spoke extensively about the welfare of our fish but in a practical way.

Did anyone else go to Boronia on Sunday ?

Thats all I can think of for now.

See ya later,

Mark

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks for that report Mark. Glad you enjoyed your time in Melbourne. Sorry I couldn't get to Boronia. Sounds like it was a very interesting lecture by the fish vet.

Ben
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 04:03 AM
It was great to have met you Mark!
I would have loved to have gone to Boronia aquarium on Sunday but i was tied up at work.

Let us know when you are down this way again mate!

Cheers
Ben

nicholas76
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 06:03 AM
Mark

what did they both charge you?

hehe dam shame I couldnt have met you too ...owell next time.

taksan
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 12:46 PM
Did anyone else go to Boronia on Sunday ?

Mark

I did ...stole a brand new Eheim Pro 2 2028 filter with plus pack for $340 at the charity Auction 8-)

OscarManAlpha
Wed Nov 23, 2005, 01:47 AM
Mark

what did they both charge you?

hehe dam shame I couldnt have met you too ...owell next time.

Next time I'm in Melbourne I will let you now.

BTW they didn't charge me anything I let them know I didn't RSVP and they told me no worries. I didn't realize their was a charge !!