PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian Aquarium Shops

spencer
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 09:56 AM
Hi all,
I am going to be in Kuala Lumpur mid January.
Can anyone recommend any aquarium shops to visit?
Hoping to be able to pick up some cheap equipment as well as have a look at the fish
Cheers
Max

Ben
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 12:56 PM
That will be a great Trip Max!
I am off there in march so you will have to tell me where the best places are!!!

cheers
Ben

spencer
Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:37 AM
Hi Ben
The unfortunate thing is I am only there for 4 days/ 3 nights as a stopover on the way back from Europe, so I dont think I will get to see as much as I would have liked to, also, I will be there with a non fish loving partner! but I will try to cramm in as much as possible
I am also hoping to pick up a cheap Eheim filter while in Germany, they are so much cheaper than here
Cheers
Max

kevkoi
Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:59 AM
Spencer, head for the outdoor ornmental fish market along Jalan Pasar in Kuala Lumpur. There are about 20 vendors of ornamental fish and aquarium products all lined up around on small area on the streetside. Lots of people... great bazaar atmosphere. Open eveyday till about 3pm.

spencer
Sun Nov 20, 2005, 11:08 AM
Hey kevkoi
That sounds like my kind of street,
Thanks

Max

ml29
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 05:18 AM
Since you have a non fish lover like my self, I would suggest Ikano Power. It is a huge shopping mall and there are a couple of good fish shops there in there pet section. They even stock ADA stuff if you are into planted tanks.

spencer
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks ml29
Is that in city itself?
cheers Max

kevkoi
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:29 AM
Ikano Power Center is not in the city itself. It's a very up-market posh shopping center located in Damansara (about 30-40min drive out of central Kuala Lumpur, depending on traffic.).

Ikano Power Center
Jalan PJU 7/2
Damansara, Selangor, Malaysia

Nice comfy place for the wife to go shopping, and on the top floor is a huge Pets section. There are 2 aquariums retailers there, East Aqua and currently under new Management, Pets Safari. Nothing is cheap there by Malaysian standards, mind you. Nice to look at, very clean and tidy, but the fish stocks is by Malaysian standards, very ordinary. East Aqua carries a lot of brand name products. Price is well.... shopping center price. :wink:

roadspike
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:08 PM
Jalan Pasar in Kuala Lumpur is a fun place to go especially you are looking for cheap stuff. but don't go there on monday though, most of the fish stalls and shops will be close. be there early to avoid the traffics.

spencer, anything specific you are looking for? maybe kev can give you some guide.

kevkoi
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 06:29 AM
This is the outdoor ornamental fish market at Jalan Pasar, KL... Just dug up some old pics.

spencer
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 11:35 AM
Hi roadspike,
Thanks for that advice, my luck I would have arrived there monday. Not looking for anything in particular, just general "everything" -equipment, food etc, but never know what I might find

kevkoi, Thanks for the pictures, ps, I hope to be talking to you guys at SLS in the new year about a delivery to Melbourne
Cheers all
Max