PDA

View Full Version : Ph Is 5.0!!

Mulisha
Sun Nov 13, 2005, 09:45 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have this problem with my tap water which is out water storage tanks the ph comes out of the tap at 5.0 and i was intending to buy some Discus this comming weekend and at the moment this isn't going to happen as I won't this tank to be perfect for them.
I know you can bi carb soda but I was thinking of something that I can leave in the tank to keep buffering my ph at good ph level.Can u add anything to a filter or something to give me ph around 6.5 - 7.0?
My water is very soft and the tank is 3ft long.

Any help would be great :mrgreen:

Thanks alot :mrgreen:

Benny
Sun Nov 13, 2005, 11:04 PM
shellgrit is your friend,
Proteus used some coral bits and pieces in a weir on a tank of his... Its all the same tho, to bump up the carbonate hardness, by addind some sort of carbonate to the water. Being calcium carbonate, or sodium bicarbonate....

Mulisha
Sun Nov 13, 2005, 11:07 PM
thanks alot :D

Mulisha
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 06:58 AM
Ok went and brought 1kg bag of shell grit :D

How much shell grit should I put in my 3ft tank (160L) to get from a PH of 5.0 to a ph of 6.5?

And can u add to much or to less shell grit and would a stocking be ok for this? :D

Thanks heaps... :D

pitchblack
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 07:21 AM
I use shell grit to keep the ph stable due to co2 injection. Put a couple of hand fulls in a stocking and place it in your filter not in the tank. All should go well

Mulisha
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 07:48 AM
well i only have 2 big sponge filters so do u think it will be ok in the tank? :?:

Ben
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 12:59 PM
it will do the job Rick but you might need a little more than if it were bieng used in a cannister filter.
if possible try and get it hanging near the current of the sponge filter.

Ben

electric molecular
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 10:11 PM
Hi Mulisha,

I recently had a prob with low Ph too. I went out and bought a bottle of Sera Ph plus. Found it works great.

Claire.

Mulisha
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone for helping me out :D

Ben i added a aqua one powerhead to the tank make the slightest current. I turned the powerhead down so it's just a small current becuase the Discus don't like the current :D

Thanks again everyone