PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: New canister

aquafrogstuff
Sun Nov 13, 2005, 12:58 AM
A friend of mine just returned from Malasia with a 1200L/hr canister (thanks Glenn). It’s not quite the right size. The tank is 150L, so 700L/hr(ish) filtration is required under rule of thumb. Not sure if I should go ahead and use it anyway or get one with lower flow rate. The tank is primarily a discus tank (four).

Assuming I end up using it, the tank is established with an internal sponge filter. I was thinking of using the sponge from the existing filter in the canister to keep the bacteria levels up rather than leaving the internal, installing the canister and having nearly 2000L/hr rushing through a 150L tank for three weeks before removing the internal filter. Could I get some feedback on what the best ways are to replace filtration.

revkev
Sun Nov 13, 2005, 02:57 AM
It should be ok to use the new filter just close the outlet tap off a little untill you slow the flow down to what you want just watch the spray bar.

aquafrogstuff
Sun Nov 13, 2005, 03:00 AM
Cheers. I've rung a few LFSs and got similar response. It'll put additional load on the pump motor, but the cannister was cheap so I'll see how I go.