PDA

View Full Version : SLS: L168 LOTS OF THEM.. IN SHOP NOW!!!

kevkoi
Fri Nov 11, 2005, 03:28 AM
Finally the ELUSIVE REAL L168 (Not all the fake L104 masquerading as L168!) available again at SLS. 6-8cm

$120ea or 10 for $1000

Drop by to view at:
632, Anzac Pde
Kingsford

tel: 02-93155288

madaboutfish
Fri Nov 11, 2005, 12:19 PM
Hi Kev,

Just wondering why the fish is called L168? Is it some catalog number or page number in some fish Atlas?

Regards

Nick

arkhonic
Fri Nov 11, 2005, 12:54 PM
L168 is the naming convention for the plecos

for a full list have a look at
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/

madaboutfish
Fri Nov 11, 2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info arkhonic.

Nick

precarious_panther
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 03:44 AM
I bought my one from SLS on Friday :) Very nice markings - I like them better than the Zebra plecs even though they don't grow as big.
Unfortunately (s)he died on Sunday much to my dismay... I put in another large picece of zhucchini and (s)he was the only plec that didnt come out for a munch. I started lifting up all the logs and rocks to try find where he was hiding and he had sulked away to his granite cave and stopped breathing :(

Ohwell better luck next time!
-Adam

Merrilyn
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 08:36 AM
Hello Adam, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that your first post is on such a sad note.

I hear that a lot of the cats can be a little difficult to settle into a new tank. All the water parameters must be exactly the same as they were kept in the store.

I do hope you have better luck next time, if you choose to get another one. They certainly are worth the effort.

Ben
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 01:02 PM
Very sorry to hear about the loss Adam.
Keep us posted when you get another as they look like beautiful catfish.

Ben

precarious_panther
Wed Nov 16, 2005, 06:03 AM
Hi again, thanks for the replies :)
Yeah I'm just putting this one up to bad luck. He had somewhat sunken eyes and belly when I got him but I thought I could fatten him up with some zhuchini and black worms - but he showed little intrest. Once I can afford it I shall get a new one tho as they are beautiful fish! Just a shame I only had mine for two days :(
-Adam

precarious_panther
Wed Nov 16, 2005, 06:12 AM
Whilst im here anyway, has anybody else on here bought any of these guys yet? If you have sucessfully please let me know what tank specs :)
My PH is 6.5, with lots of driftwood for tannin to buffer it - and temp is kept at 25*C. I currently have common plecs, common bristleys, Gibbi's (sailfin), peppermint bristleys, 2 albinos bristleys, and quite a few community fish (neons, guppies, zebra daninos, etc).. oh and one flame gourami... oh yeah and 3 Khulii loaches lol easy to forget with so many :S
All of the plecs are young and have been living in the aquarium from 1 yr to 6 months now. Aquarium is very large as well (6ft x 2ft x 2ft) with plenty of hiding places (found an excellent mangrove log on our property that is about 5ft long, 7in radius, hollow through the centre and half of the side missing on the last 2-3 ft which the plecs absolutely adore. Also plants are all anubias/java moss and there are also lots of caves ive made from inert granite. Every night they are fed a large piece of zhuchini tied to a block of granite (my sacrifice to the monsters to keep them appeased) which has nothing but tattered green husk by morning, and every second night a spoonful of live blackworms.

ozarowana
Fri Nov 18, 2005, 02:03 AM
I lost 2 within 18hrs and another one a few days later. The remaining I'm going to try metro and then levimasole. Mine were thin aswell.

precarious_panther
Fri Nov 18, 2005, 05:23 AM
Hmmm sounds like they were a bad batch then :cry: .

kevkoi
Fri Nov 18, 2005, 09:51 AM
These fish are kept in our tropical fish system at pH 7.4 and hardness at 350ppm. Haven't had any casualties in shop and they're still there and feeding, so definately not a bad batch.

U CANNOT medicate these plecos with Metronidazole. Praziquantel has a negative effect on them as well although I haven't tried levamisol. Generally catfish don't do well with medication, so be very careful.

Chuong, u have PM.

Precarious panther, I would avoid introducing a new pleco like L168 into a tank with common plecos and gibbiceps and even ancistrus species. These plecos are far more docile and compared to your other plecos. Would suggest a species tank for them or with ancistrus sp, smaller than them. Note that Plecos are somewhat territorial and especially the larger variants can be aggressive when the lights go out.

precarious_panther
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 05:06 AM
Hi kevkoi, thanks for the reply :)

All of the other plecs that I have in this aquarium are juvi's, the largest (the common one) is approx 9cm and during the time the 168 was in he was left alone by the other fish - spending most of his time in long granite cave that only he could fit in to (the common and gibbis have taken residence in the large mangrove log).

I wasnt implying that the other 168's were unhealthy sorry! By bad batch I just meant the ones that ozarowana, the members who posted on plecofanatics.com, and myself had. Like I said before - just bad luck :(

Perhaps they don't like the lower pH? I've spoken to a few Americans about them who keep them at similar pH's to mine (6.5) but maybe the change was too much for it.

Ohwell better luck next time!
-Adam