PDA

View Full Version : To Salt or Not to Salt

Lichan
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 08:57 PM
Hi All,

I was just wondering if you should add plain salt to aquarium water at the correct dosage while it is being aged as a normal part of preparing the water for use?? or is salt only used specifically when your Discus have a problem that would benefit from the use of it in their water ???

Any comments or recommedations greatly appreciated.

axl
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 09:57 PM
Hey,
you only add epsom salt when your discus are contispated, no need to add any other salts when preparing water
cheers axl

chris
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 11:09 PM
I use proper Aquarium salt when adding new fish or some times at waterchanges it helps to kill of some bacteria and germs same with humans with cuts.

Ive been told that Rock salt can be used :?:
Someone on the florum will give you more info soon.

Lichan
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 07:09 AM
Yes I understand that Epson Salts are used specifically for constipation - but I believe you can also use normal rock salt in water preparation - Just wondering if anyone does - I belive it helps to keep certain bacteria and algae at bay....?? Just what Ive heard ?
I understand that it is not "necessary" but is it worthwhile ?? will it harm the Discus ? or will it be just another additive to the water and really do nothing at all ???

Thanks

goldfish
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 10:02 AM
i guess rocksalt will raise the kH.
what is the dosage? 1teaspoon for 100lts?

Proteus
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 10:13 AM
i guess rocksalt will raise the kH.
what is the dosage? 1teaspoon for 100lts?

Rocksalt has no effect at all on KH

it raises the GH which can also be called TDS (Total Dissolved Salts/Solids)

Discus prefer low GH (80-140ppm), so no salt is required unless treating for something