PDA

View Full Version : Intresting behavior ?

Dee
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 12:59 PM
Hey All,

I have got 4 juvie Albino's around 3-3.5inch not inc tail and close to 6 months old. My question is what's the earliest you guys have seen discus start with courting behavior ? 2 of the Albino's are bowing and shimmying at each other and picking (cleaning) at the side of the box filter, they are definatly courting and not sick. I have raised juvies in the past that have paired off, but I didnt see this behavior at this size or age. All my other Discus that have paired off past and present have done so, at around 5-6inch and 10-12 months old. The Albino's mainly do this after a 50% WC and the funny thing is when the first 2 start, the other 2 sometimes get in on the act. Anyway I'm intrested to see if other people have seen this ? I was always under the impression that they start this behavior at around 9-10 months ? Here's some pics of the little of the guys !

Cheers,

Dee :)

Ben
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 01:34 PM
Hi Dee!

First of all i would like to say those albinos look stunning mate! well done!

I have had the same thing with the same size fish, courting and the little buggers even spawned at a very young age but of corse the male was too young and the eggs were infertile.

The young i had stopped "fooling around" for a few months are grew as per normal.

Funny fish we keep eh?

cheers
Ben

Dee
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 02:00 PM
Funny fish we keep eh?

cheers
Ben

Heya Ben,

Thanks for the reply :D yep funny fish alright ! these guys are very funny, put some food in the tank and they box on like jeff fenech ... once all the food has gone they start getting cosy with each other :roll: little characters alright :wink: might have to seperate them if they pair off at this age, just so growth doesn't slow down too much. Thanks for the info :thumb

Cheers,

chris
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 11:02 PM
Hey Dee they are nice fish alright, I got question for you and everyone
Is it true or a myth that when a female spawns for the first time there growth rate reduces :?:

I too have a 6mth old discus who has spawned, and when I put her in my community tank she shacked up with my 3 year old goldern sunrise.
She split up a relationship of one year between a White Swan and the goldern, and caused so much aggression in the tank that I had to move her out, shes quite the home recker.
Fortunately shes a Goldern aswell, so I might chuck her in a tank with the big Goldern aswell.
The other good thing Is that the White Swan paired up with the other White in the tank and Spawned and I saw some Dots in the eggs :P :P

The only thing stoping me from putting the goldern in the tank with the other one, is that I like my pairs to get practice, when she spawns her accuracy is not to be desired.
But if I place her in the community tank she will cause a ruckuss.

Id love to put the White Pair in the breeding Tank but there lacking practice but are at a more practical age.
I not to keen to set up a new Tank I have three at the moment.
One has some babies in it already.

Dee
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 01:30 PM
Hey All,

Well the little guys laid eggs tonight, there's about 100 or so :shock: as soon as I did a WC tonight they where off with a vengence :lol: I just hope they arn't too agressive with the other two in the tank, might have to seperate them out :? it's strange seeing such young fish lay eggs, they are such little eggs too ... anyway I guess it's good to see I may have a pair :D

Chris,

Sounds like it's all happening in your tanks mate, looks like your doing something right :wink: I have read before that growth does slow down when they pair up. I'm not sure if it's due to nursing parents seem less interested in food or some other factor ? Would love to know if anyone knows any info :) I would like to grow these guys out to full potential and then pair them up ... any suggestions ?

Cheers,