PDA

View Full Version : 100% Water Change

WrxAnt
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 09:41 AM
Hi Guys,

I've had some illness (Dead 12cm Red Melon) in my community tank and I want to move my Juveniles out to another tank just to be safe.

Now I've setup a new tank with 100% clean water, dechlorinated but it has only been running from 24hrs.

The water params temp/ph are around the same as the source tank.
I intend doing water changes daily.

What are the implications of moving to a fresh tank like this?

Cheers
Ant

spencer
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi WrxAnt
I am by no means an expert, but Seachem Stability advises you can add fish straight away to an uncycled tank providing you use the correct dosage for 7 days
I recently did this for a breeding pair, the tank only being set up for 2 days before introducing them, all went well and they went on to spawn.
Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can advise something different?

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Stability.html

cheers
Max

kalebjarrod
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 08:01 PM
did you clean the tank?

are you still using the same filters?

100% water changes are fine but you need to have a seeded filter to cope with the fish

i would double dose with prime

new tank and new filter = problems, you would get ammonium spikes

to the same extent, if you keep the same filter media, you are probablly keeping you pathogen

hard question to answer

sorry :oops:

electric molecular
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:37 AM
Hey WrxAnt,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. I'm no expert either, but I'd say you'd be right to add fish to your new tank after a day, just so long as you keep adding a product like Sera Nitrivec every day for 10 days to get the bacteria in the filter going. It might help if you keep the pH at neutral to get the bacteria going too.

How many fish will you be adding? You don't want to overload the tank if you're starting up a new tank... (It might mean more work for you in terms of product use and water changes.)

Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels also. But if you're intending to do frequent water changes, there shouldn't be too much worry about having a build up of toxins. Just keep testing the water to be on the safe side. Sometimes I think Discus are hardier than what we give them credit for!

Hope it goes well,

Claire.