PDA

View Full Version : My discus is being a jerk. Please help. =(

Mettle
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 05:20 AM
So I got my first three discus a couple weeks back. They seem to be completely settled into their new surroundings now and have made themselves right at home. Unfortunately, one of them is being quite the meanie.

All three are slightly different sizes but the only significant difference is between the largest and smallest.

The largest is the one doing the bullying. At first he was chasing around the middle one and the little one seemed to try and get in between. Now he's chasing around both of them!

Now... I'm wondering what I should do? Should I get rid of him, plain and simple, and try adding some other discus instead? Should I try adding more discus to even out the temper tantrums he's throwing? I unfortunately don't have a tank I can isolate him in at the moment. I'm also worried that if I take him out that the little one will get bullied a lot by the middle one, because I have just seen some aggression there.

How much is normal levels of aggression? And is it possible that I perhaps ended up with three males?

They're gorgeous fish - but this aggression of theirs is making me rather sad. I'd like for it to work out, but I don't know if it will or not, now.

Suggestions would be very much appreciated!

electric molecular
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 07:33 AM
Hey Mettle,

If I were you, I'd be inclined to add a few more discus--prob 2 or 3. I think discus like to be in groups of over 4-6. I guess it depends if your tank has the room--they say 40L per discus is required as a rule of thumb.

Anyway, it wouldn't be a good idea to move the bully fish, as you're right, the middle fish would just take over and start having a go at the smaller one. It is normal for cichlids/discus to be a bit aggressive, but mostly it is harmless sledging, and the smaller ones will know to keep out of the way. The more fish you have, the more dispersed the bully's aggression will be.

Maybe if you try adding some more discus, you could add bigger ones than the bully you already have. This might help the existing dynamic.

Good luck with it,

Claire.

mcloughlin2
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 09:01 AM
I think u should get rid of the biggest discus....(the one doin the bullying)...and replace him with say 2 smaller discus round the size of the other ones u have ATM.... :wink:

Maybe if you try adding some more discus, you could add bigger ones than the bully you already have. This might help the existing dynamic.

Imo this would only start the same problem all ova again...but now the little discus would have a even bigger discus to be scared of... :P

How big is the tank? and how big are the discus?....40L per fish is only meant for large 5inch+ discus....so if ur discus are only say 3inches u could add a few more in... :D

HTH,

Sam...

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 06:05 PM
A certain amount of bullying is normal with discus. They are members of the cichlid family, and can be a bit scrappy, especially if there are only two or three fish in the tank.

Adding more fish will certainly diffuse the agression, and I'd be inclined to go for more fish the same size as the smaller one. The bigger fish will probably still be a bully, but this way he has more targets, and that should help.

Having said that, there are some fish that are just plain mean tempered, and will fight with every other fish in the tank. Keep an eye on your fish, and if the larger fish continues with his attacks, even with more fish in the tank, you may need to return him to the fish store, and get more fish of a smaller size.

Mettle
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 05:13 AM
Well, I guess this could be considered good news. The largest turned his attacks from the middle to the smallest. And the smallest didn't take it. So he fought back. And now all three seem to nip at each other the odd bit. But I think it's settled.

I guess I've just seen these fish at the store one too many times. Hovering about in the tanks there and I thought to myself that they were peaceful... I've owned many different types of cichlids from dwarfs like rams and cockatoos to big boys like oscars and green terrors. And I suppose it didn't register that some aggression would be normal for these fish.

All appears fine now. But I will be adding two or three more fish sooner than later, I imagine. I'm also thinking about setting up my 90 gallon tank for them. We'll see!

aquafrogstuff
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 05:16 AM
Try tying a lead sinker to the tail of the bully to slow him down when he swims...
OK, sorry, that was innappropriate.....
..having one of those days at work....

Merrilyn
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 06:12 AM
LOL @ aquafrogstuff. A little parachute tied to his tail might work better :P

Foz in Oz
Fri Nov 11, 2005, 04:51 AM
You can buy a net to stick to the side of the tank using suckers. This is about 200x100mm. You can pop him in there for 3days, this will give the small one time to settle in and feed. I had the same problem with one of mine that was bullying and the small one stopped eating. I put the big one in the (sin bin) for three days and it worked. Don't be inclined either, to take him out after 24hrs as I did because I felt sorry for him. He just went on the rampage again within 1hr of being released. I wouldn't normally recommend this, but for difficult fish definately. Like I say, it worked for me. Hope this helps...

Del
Fri Nov 11, 2005, 07:02 AM
I had four discus in a 150L tank and one bullied the other three constantly! My smallest one got so stressed he didn't eat and then got ill.

On the advice of my LFS, I added another 2 discus to the mix and now have a much healthier discus family.

Sure they push, shove and chase - but it is much less than before and it doesn't stress me out to watch the tank... now "the tank of love"

I guess I've just seen these fish at the store one too many times. Hovering about in the tanks there and I thought to myself that they were peaceful I too have always seen them in groups of at least 6 at my LFS - so maybe this is why they looked peaceful - ?