PDA

View Full Version : wtb: terra cotta pipes

Mattzilla
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 03:31 AM
i need some large terra cotta pipes for my flowerhorn mo. (pictured below)

he has little pots in his tank that he throws around and trashes so i want to get some large terra cotta pipes for him to play with and hide in if he feels like it. he is pretty big allready and is only going to get bigger so the the pipes would have to be at least 5'-6' in diameter.

i have no idea where to find what i am after so i am just throwing it out there incase someone has waht i am after or where i can get it

cheers
matt

OscarManAlpha
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 04:19 AM
Have you tried a plumbing supply store ?

OscarManAlpha
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 04:22 AM
BTW he is an awesome looking fish, nice hump and dorsal fin !!

marg
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 04:38 AM
What about ringing one of your local plumbers? They are always replacing terracotta pipes so they would probably be able to locate you some.

goldenpigeon
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 05:42 AM
how about buying a larger terra cotta pot and mayb filing the end off so he can go thru it? not sure how well it would work tho

Crocky
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 07:12 AM
Hi Matt

Dont bother going to any plumbing replies they wont have them as they are not used anymore it been replaced with pvc pipe.Your best bet is to go to a plumber that been in the trade for 20+ years and hey might have some kicking around or go down to any second place near you as most trade people have clean out around the x-mas break.

Brad

Mattzilla
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 08:59 AM
i have asked a few mates of mine who are builders and lanscapers to be on the look out for me.

they also told me that terra cotta pipes are no longer used, but said they might find some laying around.

if i can't find any i'll cut the bases off some pots and go with that idea

cheers
matt

Sarah
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 08:04 PM
Why don't you buy some clay from a potter supplyer and make you own and have it kilned.
I make breeding tubes for catfish and it works great that way you can make it as big and as heavy as you like.
The clay is cheap and so is the cooking.
Good luck

discus21
Sat Nov 12, 2005, 03:01 AM
ok how big does the hole
have to be for the fish
i have some but they might be too small

discus

Mattzilla
Sat Nov 12, 2005, 08:54 AM
the holes would need to about 5"-6" in diameter

at the moment mo is only about 3-4 inches tall but he has a lot of growing to go yet

thanks very much
matt