PDA

View Full Version : No more caviar for breakfast !

Merrilyn
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 03:00 PM
At last, the red gold diamonds are over their egg eating phase, and have finally allowed wrigglers to hatch. The parents moved them from the cone to the filter intake pipe as they hatched. They keep going back to the cone to see if any more wrigglers have hatched.

From being very naughty egg eaters, they have turned into model parents.

Benny
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 03:04 PM
WOHOO!! CONGRATS LR!!!!

I gotta get my ticket, and stand in queue for some juvies

discusme
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 03:31 PM
Congrats LadyRed :) :)
It will be definately a long queue for the juvies :D.

Regards,
Ronny

Mattzilla
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 06:09 PM
they look great ladyred!!!

DarrenJThomas
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 10:07 PM
If only we were as half as good as you :)

look@thefish
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 11:23 PM
hi ladyred nice pair u got going their. :thumb

Im wondering how long did it take them to stop eating the eggs? a pair i have at the moment has eaten over 8 spawns now.

Dave76
Fri Nov 04, 2005, 12:23 AM
Well done LR

Fantastic looking pair of fish :)

Hope the fry go well.

mtchye
Fri Nov 04, 2005, 12:48 AM
Incredible clean fish :)

Can you post a shot of the whole tank.. with filtration etc so we can all learn a little :)

Benny
Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:11 AM
Mtchye, all red gold diamonds are "clean"

None will ever have peppering

Hence the EXTREME value of the fish

mtchye
Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:24 AM
Thanks Benny. Yes I've heard of these RGD's but you know there have been so many red fish touted as being no peppered including some I have bought and they all turn out to have some, even if the tiniest bit...

These are great fish Merrilyn and so the line of posts calling dibs on fry begins lol!

Did you end up trying any of the artemia replacement food on baby discus? I figured a possible way is to drip them over the sides of the parents like you do with brine shrimp...

DR.V
Fri Nov 04, 2005, 08:14 AM
Hmm christmas is coming Merrilyn , it would be a great christmas present for me hehehe ^^

Ben
Fri Nov 04, 2005, 12:02 PM
Thats great news Merrilyn!!!!!

totally awesome!

keep us posted!

cheers
Ben

wifey of axelfaz
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 09:08 AM
Congrats Merrilyn

:)

tank
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 11:04 AM
Fantasic result LR great looking parents
tell me how many times did they eat their eggs befores wrigglers

nicholas76
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 05:41 AM
nice one merris

update pics as usual please!!!

Dee
Mon Nov 07, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hi Merrilyn,

Great news!!!, congratulations to you and the proud parents ! Best of luck with the spawn .... great to see the first generation of little Aussie RGD's :thumb

Cheers,

Dee :)

DR.V
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:46 AM
How are the babies ladyred ??

nicholas76
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 12:36 AM
updates updates updates

and some pics too would be nice merris :lol:

Merrilyn
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 05:33 AM
As they say, nothing in life is certain, and just because you have wrigglers, doesn't mean it's all smooth sailing.

The pair managed to eat all their wrigglers. Well I think it was more a lack of experience than anything else. As soon as the wrigglers tried to free swim, the parents would scoop them up and spit them back onto the filter pipe. In fact, the fry spent more time in the mouths of the parents than they did on the pipe LOL. Some of them managed to escape and make it to the sides of the parents to feed, but before long, they were scooped up and put back on the pipe. In the end, I think they ate them out of frustration because they wouldn't stay put. Parenting is definately a learning experience for discus. They have an idea of what they should be doing, but it takes a while for them to sort it all out.

This pair will make wonderful parents once they get all the steps sorted out. At the moment they have wrigglers again, but this time have left them on the cone. They are currently 48 hours old and due to free swim shortly, so let's see if the parents have learned from their last mistake. In the meantime, I've removed all distractions from the tank, and I'm just running a small box filter set to low. I've always found red fish difficult to get the fry to attach, so I'm making things as simple as possible for them.

Fingers crossed :roll:

On a brighter note, a second pair of red gold diamonds have managed to hatch wrigglers in the community tank, so now that they are a confirmed pair, they'll go into a spawning tank of their own, and we'll start all over again.

Never a dull moment with discus fish :lol:

Ben
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 11:13 AM
:D :D :D Thats great you now have 2 confirmed pairs Merrilyn! :D You should be very proud! :wink: The first Australian to hatch RGD discus. 8-)

cheers
Ben