PDA

View Full Version : May I Please Have Everybody Give Their Valued Input...

G-1000
Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:37 AM
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to get all of your opinions on a 4 foot tank I am planning to get soon...

It will be dalbarb ariel (the modern looking one in silver) 48x18x18, bare bottom discus tank.

What does everyone think about the following equipment for the tank (be as ruthlessly honest as possible)

1) Lighting - Im currently thinking I will go with a double reflector light 48inch long (will this be too bright?). Furthermore, what type of light tube would make my discus look their best (will be keeping reds, blues and assorted pb and albinos).

2) Background - Im thinking about getting a sort of contact to go across the back of the tank, maybe light blue in colour or even a tan/beige colour. What is the best way to get the back of the tank covered?

3) Filtration & Heating - Im going to have 2 canisters operating on the tank, both Hydor Prime 30 canisters - each hooked up to a 300 watt inline heater. Will I need additional filtration e.g sponge filter etc? I think the two canisters are fine - yeh ? Is it a good idea to add bioballs into a canister filter ?

4) UV - I havent formed an opinion on this yet - is debary worth the money? because if so, I will also get a U.V for each canister and hook it up inline too (to save tank space). Im thinking the 11 watt debary ?

5) Aeration - Just to look kind of funky - Im thinking about a double outlet air pump - with two spherical 7.5cm air curtains? That would be enough oxygenation wouldnt it ?

What does everyone think ? Sound good? Or sound crap?

Be honest......

Thanks

G

DR.V
Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:47 AM
That sounds like a good setup.

It is a good idea to hook up a UV but perhaps 16W or higher for your tank size.

Aeration is good to provide oxygen , but I dont like the look of the bubbles with discus.
I prefer calm water for discus ...

What about substrate ?

mcloughlin2
Tue Nov 01, 2005, 08:46 PM
I have a 48inch double tube light on my discus tank with no probs...some people have metal halegens....so u have no worries there... :thumb

How many litres and hour do the cannisters do ? :ug

Discus dont like to much water current so im not to sure about the bubblers...if u r worried about the oxygen just put ur filter in a way so it produces bubbles... :wink:

I think if u want to make the red on ur discus stand out more u should go with a power glo and normal daylight tube or something..... :ug