PDA

View Full Version : With CO2 can you...?

Foz in Oz
Sun Oct 30, 2005, 10:27 PM
Hi all,
Well my tank is looking good now, to get my nitrate levels down I did a 50% WC and put a third more plants in, what a differents!!! I also put 2 siamese algae eaters in, to eat the algae (the ones with the forward mouth- not the sucker mouth ones) to get rid of the green algae and they seem to be doing the trick. Now my question, because I have heard different reports on this one.

Can I use an air stone in my CO2 tank?
I heard that you cannot because it messes with the co2 and that the bubbles on the surface could also go into my filter through my skimmer, causing my good bacteria to die. Is any of this true. Thanks

otto
Mon Oct 31, 2005, 07:17 PM
no, an airstone will strip CO2 out of the water. its completely unnecessary in a planted tank, let your plants produce the oxygen.

G-1000
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 04:17 AM
Thats right - adding an airstone will compete with the co2 for space in the water. So co2 will decrease.

However, your filter should be fine, since if your co2 system is working well - your plants will grow and photosynthesise and as such, would release oxygen into the tank (pure oxygen at that, not just air).

Shouldnt need an airstone. I certainly wouldnt put one in it.

G

Foz in Oz
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 12:21 AM
thanks guys

williamvo
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 06:09 AM
I have recently purchased a Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System and I think it's working great with my plants in the tank. So, would I still need the airstone?