PDA

View Full Version : should i paint outside of my breeding tank?

TeeFM
Sat Oct 29, 2005, 12:02 AM
just wondering if anyone paints their breeding tanks..I saw some of the breeders do. If so, what colour should I paint my breeding tank?

Ben
Sat Oct 29, 2005, 12:35 AM
Highly recommended to paint the out side of breeding tanks. Painting the outside of the tank will keep the pair/s happy and feeling secure. With a tank that has not been painted sometimes the pair can get easily distracted or frightening whilst spawning.

I have most of my tanks painted a light blue colour, but lately any new tanks bought i have been painted a light aqua green colour and find the slight green colour nicer.

If painting a tank, use a paint roller, this will give you nice clean results.

Cheers,
Ben

Dee
Sat Oct 29, 2005, 04:27 AM
Hi TeeFM,

The reasons I know of for painting breeding tanks are, as ben said to make the discus feel more comfortable and secure. I have found in the past, that sometimes when you approach a unpainted tank from the side or an angle that the discus can be startled, must have something to do with it looking like two people are approaching from both sides. It is something I have found anyway.

I was reading an article a while back that the breeder was saying he paints his tanks a lighter colour than the fish he is breeding. He said this helps the fry attatch, as the discus are darker than the suroundings ( fry are attracted to darker objects). He was saying that for say breeding Albino's he paints the background a pure white, as albino fry can have trouble attatching because the parents in most cases are almost white. He also mentioned that he does this for certain strains of PB's and lighter coloured fish. So i guess it all depends on what strain you want to breed and base your background colour on that. Anyway that's what I have read in the past, if only I could find that article :roll: HTH

Cheers,

Dee :)

WrxAnt
Sat Oct 29, 2005, 04:29 AM
TeeFM,

If you're not willing to commit just yet to painting tanks might I suggest putting pieces of coloured cardboard/paper taped on the back/sides of the tank.

I've done this before. Its quick, cheap, easy and reversable.

You can also play with a few different colours to see the affects.

Most important of all you don't need to dissamble your tanks to do it ;)

Cheers
Ant

TeeFM
Sat Oct 29, 2005, 10:46 AM
Thanx for all the good advice. How about the bottom of the tank? Should I paint it too?

What kind of paint should I buy?

Ben
Sat Oct 29, 2005, 01:39 PM
TeeFM,

I painted the bottom of my tanks an off white colour, but other tanks i painted blue on 3 sides and the bottom.
For a slightly nicer affect paint the bottom an off white colour and the 3 sides some blue/green colour or as Dee suggested white could be the way to go depending on the colour type of discus you wish to breed.

As far as paint goes i used some oil based paints, which i recommend...whilst i used some good quality acrylic paints which don’t bubble if a drop or two of water lands on the painted side.

Cheers

Ben

Ben
Sat Oct 29, 2005, 01:41 PM
Here is a picture of a painted tank where the bottom is painted white and the sides blue.

TeeFM
Sun Oct 30, 2005, 01:28 AM
I've got a white foam board underneath the tank. Should I still paint the bottom white?

What kind of blue colour is it?

Ben
Sun Oct 30, 2005, 03:22 AM
I would paint the bottom of the tank, i used a simple off white colour. By painting the bottom of the tank you will not get refelction when looking into the tank, this makes it easier to keep the tank floor spotless!

As for blue colour......if i remember correctly it is "saxon blue"

ben