PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody ID my discus for me?

coops
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 09:14 PM
Hi can someone please ID this discus for me, ive not seen this "strain" on the net or in any shops so just wondering what ive got and what it could possibly look like when adult/mature?

nicholas76
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 09:49 PM
nice fish

that actually looks like a nebula

the one at the rear is a blue diamond.

what do other think

dreamer
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 12:51 AM
front one is ghost, or maybe nebula with poor coloring

rear one is cobalt, blue diamond shouldnt have any marking on the fins and no stress bars

nicholas76
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 12:56 AM
front one is ghost, or maybe nebula with poor coloring

rear one is cobalt, blue diamond shouldnt have any marking on the fins and no stress bars

ghosts dont have colouring as far as im aware of

and blue diamonds and ocean greens can have the tail stress bar. Both are from the cobalt strain anyway.

dreamer
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:18 AM
what do you mean ghost dont have colour?

if you look carefully you can see stress bars on the body and pattern/marking on the fins

nicholas76
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:21 AM
its got an orange head mate

show me another picture of a ghost with an orange head????

kevkoi
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:39 AM
Don't hype up an old strain calling it something new....
Nebula or whatever u wanna call it are selected fish from Ghost.

Nebulas are selected from the same spawn as ghost based on a few criteria. The background colour is clean and clear (white as possible), the outer black rim is faint/minimal, fish shows sufficient amount of yellow/gold and the red colour can be brought out by feeding carophyl pink (red colour enhancer). They don't breed true.... so, Don't u get a pair of "Nebula" from a farm, breed them and think u will be getting all nebula fry... U won't. U get Ghost. The pick of the spawn, IF they meet the criteria, breeders give these a "brand" name - Nebula. They don't breed true.

Ghost is a terribly old strain... Many have tried to revived this strain by calling it many a fancy name.

The best we can call that fish is a gold cap ghost.
http://discusfarm.us/ghost1.jpg

This, some ppl call "Nebula" or "Aurora" or whatever fancy name they decide. Essentially fish from the same spawn as above. Just selected quality fish and fed with colour enhancer.
http://discusfarm.us/Picture1%20750.jpg

dreamer
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:40 AM
there are many strains of ghost .... red, golden etc etc
http://www.discusnada.org/discus/history06.jpg

i will call it nebula only if it looks like those at www.nebuladiscus.com

dreamer
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:41 AM
im sure you wont argue with kev ....

coops
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:52 AM
Okay Gold Cap Ghost it is, Thanks Kevkoi :)
Thanks Nicholas76 and Dreamer!!

coops
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:58 AM
Okay Gold Cap Ghost it is, Thanks Kevkoi :)
Thanks Nicholas76 and Dreamer!!

axelfaz
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 03:41 AM
dreamer the only differents between a bd and colbalt is that bd have no markings on their gill covers and head.colbalts can also be called thunderflash discus, coerulea discus, ocean green,as nic said their all come from the some strain.

Cameron

dreamer
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 04:10 AM
cobalt = ocean green

thanks for the information

axelfaz
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 04:15 AM
ocean greens are classifed as a green colbalt.
(info dicus atlas bybernd degen)

kevkoi
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 04:52 AM
Ocean green = cobalt..... ERrrm, I don't think so.

If you were to say that the OG were developed FROM brilliant cobalt lines, then u may be justified.

.. but they're not one and the same.

My guess is that the small blue fish behind is a blue diamond and that photography has distorted it's colouration. As Juveniles, cobalts show stressbars on the body. The Blue diamond/Ocean Greens don't show any stress bars. It's hard to say from that pic to be 100% sure though.

That said however, that fish is not the perfect example of what a PRIME Blue Diamond or Ocean Green is suppose to be..... It has flaws such as the black bar on the tail and a hint of patterning on the fins. That doesn't make it a cobalt.

Degan's book IMO is outdated. The Modern Ocean Green is no longer like how he saw it then.

axelfaz
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 05:28 AM
Kev as u know soild green discus came from malaysia and japan they were crossed with blue colbalts and green discus over the years until they could stabilize the green colour at nearly 100% the discus with patterens on the head and gill covers were called green colbalts and the ones with no markings ocean green so any ocean green if u follow its genitic history back would of had colbalt in it . I have attached a photo of a ocean green taken nearly 8 years ago as u can see it very similar or the same as Ocean greens of today.

Cameron

dreamer
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 06:14 AM
i see yellow eyes

axelfaz
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 06:17 AM
this photo was taken with an old SLR camera.

mcloughlin2
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 10:28 AM
Wow this topic was hot....Quick replies guys! lol ....

I have not the amount of experinace as u guys do with discus but IMO , the front discus would be a type of ghost/nebula and the one at the back would be a ocean green... :wink:

IMO the black mark on the tail of the discus at the back is a classic sign of a ocean green.... :P

The nebula/ghost discus should grow into a interesting discus though.... :D

HTH,

sunshinediscus
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:39 PM
dreamer is correct about the blue fish being cobalt, no way in the world is it a pure blue diamond as the pic shows body mood bars(as well as the obvious tail bar) and flecks of color on the ends of the dorsal and anal fins. These are 2 traits i have never seen in the thousands of pure blue diamonds i have bred over the years.