PDA

View Full Version : Discus numbers and tank size

Stuquarium
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 10:00 AM
hi guys,

i remember being told that 5 discus for a 55g tank is just enough, and thats what i have, but i think that i also remember being told you should always have the pairs..

so my questions are.

1 - is 5 too many?
2- is the odd one out (blue turq) going to suffer socially? he is also the smallest
3 - would it be a good idea to get him a friend? making it 6 for a 55g? with wwater changes done every 3 days

4 - how will this effect the pairing up when they hot sexual maturity?

thanks guys
Ps - here's a lis of my discus stock, and filtration
2 x blue diamond (under 6 months old one alot more colourful and larger than the other)
1x pigeon blood (3months old)
1x red dragon (3 months old
1x blue turq (3months old also smallest of them all)

1x aqua one 250L cannister
1x Ehiem 250L cannister
tank is planted.
1x

Benny
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 10:39 AM
what canister are u talkin about mate? aqua one doesnt make a 250lph canister?

Stuquarium
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 10:43 AM
umm i can't remeber exactly. but it's one of the bigger aqua one cannisters with the 3 stage bio filter sustem

G-1000
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:55 AM
I may be wrong here, but i was under the impression that 40L is required for each adult discus....

Meaning that if you discus are only a few months old... i.e juveniles, then im sure you could add possibly another 2-3 small discus.....

Obviously you would have to do at least twice weekly water changes... but i dont think ur overcrowding with 5 discus in that tank atm.

G

WrxAnt
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:00 PM
Hi Stu,

1. I don't think its too many.
How often are you water changing and what percentage?
Do you vacuum regularly?

2. I currently have 3 discus in one of my tanks. 2 old blue diamons and 1 newer Red melon. There is definitely no tag teaming rather its all about who is biggest!

3. I don't think Discus are worried about colors when it comes to pairing so don't stress about the odd one out.

4. In my old 60G I had 5 discus and it was a community tank with 30+ silver tip tetras (the tetras were spwaning like rabbits - made for nice live food for the discus) and 2 discus paired up and laid 5 times but never raised young.

Discus produce quite some refuse being larger fish so as long as you vacuum and water change regularly and you cleanr your cannisters as required you are generaly fine with those stocking levels.

Cheers
Ant

Stuquarium
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:00 PM
yeah maybe?

i thinking ahead when they are all adults and hopefully massive in size. i don't want overcrowding then

Stuquarium
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Stu,

1. I don't think its too many.
How often are you water changing and what percentage?
Do you vacuum regularly?

2. I currently have 3 discus in one of my tanks. 2 old blue diamons and 1 newer Red melon. There is definitely no tag teaming rather its all about who is biggest!

3. I don't think Discus are worried about colors when it comes to pairing so don't stress about the odd one out.

4. In my old 60G I had 5 discus and it was a community tank with 30+ silver tip tetras (the tetras were spwaning like rabbits - made for nice live food for the discus) and 2 discus paired up and laid 5 times but never raised young.

Discus produce quite some refuse being larger fish so as long as you vacuum and water change regularly and you cleanr your cannisters as required you are generaly fine with those stocking levels.

Cheers
Ant

thanks Ant.

i'm doing 15G changes every 3 days. cleaning my cannsiters when needed,

its not the colors i worry about its the numbers, theres 2 in a pair, and if thay all pair up at once. ones gunna miss out..

WrxAnt
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:09 PM
Hey Stu,

No problems with the reply.

To be honest I've found it hard to find pairs and they've always occurred in unlikely situations.

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.

Once they get bigger and you find a pair starting to couple and attempt to spawn maybe its time in invest in a 30g just to trial the pair for spawning.

Cheers
Ant

Stuquarium
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:11 PM
yeah that would be nice.. and damn i just sold my spare 35G