PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Eheim professional 1.

mtchye
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 04:18 AM
Hi guys,

I bought second hand a 2.5 year old Eheim Pro 1 filter the square type. Didn't use it for quite a few months and now every time I turn it on it leaks like crazy out of the lid join area.

It seems like the O-ring but I looked at it and it seems in OK condition. Someone suggested using vaseline but I don't have any problems getting it on, it just doesn't seem to be forming a good seal.

Is there a trick to these filters? I've only owned the classic styles before and they seemed simple enough, though sometimes it was hard to get teh O-ring back on if you took them off.

Does anyone know how much these o-rings are?

Cheers

Vincent

Ben
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 04:54 AM
Hi Vincent,

it could be the o ring, as it is old, was wet now it has been dry for some time it may have gone a bit brittle.
The cost will be around $12 for a new one.

HTH

Ben

Littlefish
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 08:59 AM
I don't think the vaseline was suggested as a lubricant to get the O ring on. Vaseline can also act as a sort of gap filler to plug up any tiny holes.

May or may not work, but could be worth a try since it just wipes off if not successful.

Fred :wink:

WrxAnt
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 10:14 AM
Littlefish,

The Eheims ship witha little metal tube (like old toothpaste tubes) of vaseline for taking care of the O-ring.

Under the pressure generated by having a cannister under a tank I don't think vaseline would work too well filling gaps.

I too have found the same problem with my eheim 2224 professional cannister and am chasing an o-ring.

Cheers
Ant

Littlefish
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:41 AM
Like I said, tiny little holes, not bleeding great gaps.

If it costs nothing...

Or buy a new O ring, whatever...

Fred