PDA

View Full Version : Filtration for 6x2x2

oscar
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

As mentioned in another thread, i've decided to install a 6x2x2 in my house.

Just wondering what filters (i'd prefer to stay with cannister for the low noise) people suggest for a tank this size.

Apart from the obvious desire to do a good job of the filtration, it's pretty high on my list to maximise intervals between maintenance/teardown and clean out.

Suggestions for UV Sterilisers and heating equipment for this size tank would also be appreciated.

Cheers,

G-1000
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 09:53 AM
I have considered a tank the same size and decided that it would be best to run 2 canister filters on it.

If it were me, i would have 2 prime filters by hydor (PRIME 30), with an inline heater on each canister (HYDOR 300W). Thats ya filtration done.

Or if you want bigger filtration to reduce the interval between cleaning filters etc, then get 2 fluval FX5's.

As for a tank that size, if it were me id be running 2 internal U.V sterilisers (AA 24Watts from age of aquariums).

It really depends on your budget.

A sump provides massive capacity so it would be well worth considering. But if you only want canisters etc. Then go with the above or somethign vaguely similar.

G

Proteus
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 10:02 AM
Personally I would recommend a mini-reef/sump system (as per what I have running on all my tanks over 350L.)

Other than that, 2 quality canisters would do the job nicely

Ben
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 10:05 AM
I agree with all of G-1000 comments, except maybe think about going an external/s UV sterilizer.

will keep the tank free of clutter.

the internal UV's are great, i use 4 of them but the sponge will need to be cleaned a minimum of once per day.

cheers
Ben

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 11:50 AM
External UVs fit on the outlet hose of the canister filter, and do a great job. I have two 36W running on my 8 x 2.5 x 2.5 but on the 8 x 2 x 2 I only have one running.

I have recently put two Aquaone Aquis 2400 filters on the 8 x 2 and they are doing a fantastic job of keeping the tank clean, even with 10 Snow King Plecos in there, as well as other fish.

Those Hydor external heaters are the top of the line, and I'd love to put them in, but with so many tanks, the budget doesn't allow for that, so I have to settle for Hydor 300 w and 400 w internal heaters on the big tanks, and 200w or 250w on the smaller tanks.

piranha-discus
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 01:46 PM
how about pumping clean water from a river, that would be less maintenance cleaning a filter.

oscar
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

i think i'd prefer the cannister option but would be interested to hear more about your sump filters Proteus. Are they suitable for storage inside a cabinet. If so, how easy are they to get out o clean etc.

What would be the sort of sump set-up for a 6x2x2?

LR - Isn't it funny where our priorities lie. Take a quick snapshot of the the livestock that you keep, and the scale of the tanks etc., but it's the $40 difference between an internal or in-line heater that breaks the bank. I make those sorts of decisions all the time too.

I had assumed that i'd need to go to external UV as Ben said, the internal ones definitely need cleaning all the time.

One 36W UV & 2x300W heaters should tie up this side of things i guess.