PDA

View Full Version : When do babies colour up

Kathy H
Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:13 PM
Hi everyone
I was wondering if some one could tell me ... at what size do babies start to get colour?most of the babies I have from my first brood are now about the size of a fifty cent piece and they still look a mottly dull colour although some are starting to get blue on their bodies.
Also if the breeding pair are a striated red and a turquoise blue is it going to be hard to sell them. I cant keep them... they keep breeding and I dont have the tanks or the extra tme to look after them.
Cheers
kathy

mcloughlin2
Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:32 PM
The babies that are at the size of a fifty cent piece should begin to colour up now ... :D

Ur babies shouldnt be that hard to sell as my LFS got in a variety of small 2inch discus and they all nearly sold in less then one week ..... :shock:

Kathy H
Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:42 PM
thanks for the reply.... Misunderstanding though I meant I need to sell the breeding pair and I thought they because they are mismached in colour they may be harder to sell.
kathy

sammigold
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 01:17 AM
Once your littlies colour up and people see what they look like, if they are nice I am sure that someone would be interested also I have read that discus don't pair up for life so maybe someone would be interested in the fact that both are proven breeders and may try and re-pair them up with something else..... I don't know.... just a thought... Good Luck!!!

G-1000
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 09:37 AM
Hi,

From what I have seen, it is quite normal for a discus the size of a 50c coin not to show much colouration...

At around the size of 2.5-3 inches (total length) is when I have observed my discus to begin to colour up.

So don't stress yet.

And whether you have a pair or not - I am sure that somebody on this forum would want at least one of your discus (seeing as they are proven breeders). And in addition, theyre also full size, so dont despair. Post an add and im sure somebody will be interested.

G

nicholas76
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 09:45 AM
colouring is dependant on various factors

strain type and what you feed them play important roles.

start them on a spirulina beef heart mix. that will help with colour develpment.

Ben
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 10:08 AM
I notice with my babies that turks will start to get colour at 7 weeks of age, whilst the blue diamonds start to get that blue colour after 8 weeks.

Dont be concerned too much about the different colour type discus, grow the babies up and then you might have some very special ones!

HTH
Ben

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 11:26 AM
Kathy, most aquarium shops will take them at around 2 or 2 1/2 inches (5 to 6 cm plus tail). By that time they are showing a bit of colour, and are easier for them to sell.

That means you'll need to raise them for around 3 or 4 months. Some won't take anything under 6 months, because before that, they lose too many.

They need to be big enough to survive on one or two meals a day, because that's all they'll be given in a shop.

Pure colour strains are easier to sell, because people know what the adult fish will look like, but some of the crossed strains like yours, produce very beautiful offspring.

mcloughlin2
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 09:51 PM
I dont think u will have any trouble selling the pair ... i would not hesitate buying them if i like them .. :wink:

Kathy H
Mon Oct 24, 2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys for all the great advice I have already had a couple of queries about the parents... only problem now is Ive got no idea what price to put on them.
Some consideration time needed i think.
Cheers
Kathy H