PDA

View Full Version : They ate eggs again!

tank
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 01:54 PM
startin to get a bit pissed with these fish
i reckon its about the 10th batch of eggs they have eaten
last two times i meth blued and gone bye the morning
so now iam gonna mesh and mb and see what happens if
this dont work then iam gonna get rid of the male i think hes no good
ive watched him and he does his part
what do u think

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 02:08 PM
Ahhhhh Tank, it's necessary to exercise a little more patience :D

Before you think of getting rid of the male, wait till you see if the eggs are fertile. Screening the eggs will at least allow them to develop long enough for you to see if they are fertile.

If they are, well it's just a matter of time before they get their act together. If they're not, then you may need to give your male a bit longer to mature. Some of them seem to take ages.

Once they get things right, you'll have more fry than you know what to do with. :P

Good luck. I've got my fingers crossed for you :wink:

tank
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:45 PM
awh ok then

Ben
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 04:41 AM
Tank give em time mate!
Patience is the key!

Are they spawning every 8-12 days apart?

Some times the pair that eats their eggs for the first dozen times will be the best parents when they get it right!
As ladyred and your self suggested cage the eggs to see what happens and how many fertile eggs occur.

HTH

Ben

tank
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 05:19 AM
Ben
I reckon they have devoured some 20 batches of eggs
and iam startin to think what else can i do
an i cant help but think if these where a breeding pair in asia
how much time do u think the breeders there would give them
ok iam not an asian breeder so just a litlle longer
at least 5 more times then thats it

Andrew Soh
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 09:00 AM
No diff between you and the asian breeders. We are all human and need to be patience....as mentioned by Ladyred and Ben. :thumb

You might assume that asia breeders may differ, but since they have so many brooders, they may not even be too bothered by this and a pair may go egg eating for 20 batches.....it's true.

I remembered once when I had 300 pairs of brooders....I only bother about the new strains and leave the common ones to do their job. They will keep on laying till they are successful. This of course include application of MB and mesh. They are the basics...never breed discus with them :coffee .

Take care buddy,

Andrew :angel

Crocky
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:18 AM
Hi Tanks

I had the same thing last year,so I pulled the female out and put some other females in the tank with him.But I ended up putting her back as she looked like she was going to die in the community tank went dark and stayed in the courner.They where apart for 10 to 12 day and she layed 2 days after putting her but and they raised the next 7 spawns so dont give up.

Brad

nicholas76
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 02:32 PM
hi tank

have experienced what you are going through.

dont give up they will come good.

give the mesh a shot if your runninh low of patience. Best i find to let them sort it out despite the time issue.

tank
Sun Oct 30, 2005, 12:12 PM
Its been 11 days since they layed and not even close to doin it again
this is driving me crazy

Ben
Sun Oct 30, 2005, 01:13 PM
lol Vince!

give them time mate!

i know its hard but think.... discus are quicker to breed than sheep!

Keep up a good diet and lots of water changes and i am sure they will come through for you.

cheers
Ben

tank
Sun Oct 30, 2005, 01:34 PM
i reakon iam over doing the wc is that possible
what i might do is clean out the tank and do a 100 %

nicholas76
Mon Oct 31, 2005, 05:50 AM
By the sounds of things you are doing too much vince.

Go back to your normal routine.

all fish are diffrent however 7 days is about normal. Ive heard of fish respawning after 4 days whilst ive had a pair skip a week and have spawned after about 14 days.

tank
Mon Oct 31, 2005, 10:45 AM
nick do u think they have a spawn cycle or season of sorts

nicholas76
Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:31 PM
HI Vince,

I can only speak from my personal experiences. Triggering the first spawn is always the most difficult, once this occurrs then i have found they will spawn almost always the same day 7 days apart.

I have had pairs were you could almost predict the hour of that 7th day

When i first started out i gave way too much attention ( in perfecting the conditions ) and found that this set them back.

Maintain the winning formula which caused that first spawn and hopefullly they will start again for you .

so in answering your question, yes I do believe there is a spawn cycle.

keep it simple and good luck :D
Good luck.

tank
Sat Nov 05, 2005, 05:06 AM
she spawned again last night took em awhile this time
I decided on not meth bluin and mesh
let u know if things happen

mcloughlin2
Sat Nov 05, 2005, 05:56 AM
I hope all goes well.... :wink:

Good luck..

tank
Sat Nov 05, 2005, 08:28 AM
nah there gone!

spencer
Sun Nov 13, 2005, 10:09 AM
Hi Vince
I have the same problem with a pair of mine
In my case I am sure it is the female that is eating
the lot
They are both young , so I will give them a few more times, if it keeps up I am going to try removing mum and leave dad on his own to do the rearing
Im sure yours will get it right soon
Cheers Max

Merrilyn
Sun Nov 13, 2005, 10:15 AM
Tank, give the mesh a try, unless you are sure which parent is eating the eggs, and then remove him/her and leave the other parent with the eggs.

tank
Sun Nov 13, 2005, 12:14 PM
LR
dealing with gill flukes at the moment so i dont think she will be eating many eggs for awhile
re mesh well ill let them have one more go without mesh as see what happens

Bill T.
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:49 PM
I also have egg eating Discus. When this pair were in a community tank they protected their eggs to the extreme. Once the eggs hatched & the wrigglers started to swim free, the other community fish would eat them. So I put this pair in a tank by themselves. They have spawned three times and eaten their eggs on all occassions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and betting on "protective parental potential probability"!

tank
Tue Nov 22, 2005, 08:46 AM
bill
they are back in the community tank they are natural born killers
to much slaughter for me

tank
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:26 AM
placed the monsters (egg eaters from the deep)back into the cube tank
for another round spawned eggs soon after and guess what happened next?????

goldenpigeon
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:37 AM
well they either ate them or the got them to wriggler stage.... am i right? ;) :lol:

tank
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:01 PM
GONE!!!!!!!!!!!
gp right as always

Merrilyn
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:36 AM
Time to break that pair up Vince. Have you got another female you can use. It's usually the female who is the persistant egg eater. BTW did you every try to cage the eggs, and did that prove successful.

tank
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:17 AM
LR
i have got a another female but she is pairing up with another
No i did not cage as she spawns on the back wll of tank i have got mesh ready made of wire but i am hesitant to use it .
This is about to change tust me on this one

goldenpigeon
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:07 AM
gp right as always

thanx gov :D

sorry to hear about them eating them again :( hope they do better with different partners :D

phear
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 11:23 AM
i have egg eaters too. it is the female she has eaten 150 of my 300ish eggs so ive caged and if i see her eat free swimm she is goin to my comm tank which i will get some more large discus to see if i can get a winning breeding pair..
just my 2c worth