PDA

View Full Version : how long should leave fry with only one parent

Crocky
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 06:42 AM
Hi All

I had a pair where the male was beating up his mate that I decided to put them in with another piar which where spawning but eggs have been no good and eaten within 24 hours.
Straight away the female the other tank took to him dancing ect,then she started picking on him so devided to the tank with there mates.Went for a few hour to Dicusjims and when came home tofemale was back in ter with him bowing/rubbing against each other and other female hideing.Moved the old female and they spawed the next night but the male wouldnt let her near the eggs but I dint think it was that bad but when i got home from the next day he had picked the hell out of her.I moved her as he seem to be doing a good job of fanning the eggs,tonight I had a look and there 200+ dark egg in there 48 hours old.So can he look after tha many .
Thanks

Brad .C

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 03:16 PM
Brad, he can, but you're going to have to supplement the feeding really early. If he can get them to ten days, or two weeks without getting too stressed, I think you'll be fine.

I have seen a tank where the male and female were separated by a divider in a fairly small tank, but the fry still had access to both parents thru the holes in the divider. That might be worth a try with so many eggs.