PDA

View Full Version : How come ??

Lichan
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:31 PM
Hello All -
I just have a quick question before I head off to work for the day !! Oh how I wish I could spend the day with my FISH....!!! : (
Sometimes when I feed my Discus - I notice that even though they appear hungry and come up to the top to eat etc etc... they take a mouthful and blow it out again....??? Not all of them of course...but sometimes they eat a bloodworm for instance and then straight away spit it out. I watched two of them just now eating - they didnt keep one thing in....I have noticed this before with other fish as well...Anyone know why they do that.

Regards

Ben
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:46 PM
Lichan,

I have found it rather strange why they do that?
Maybe it’s a taste thing or maybe a texture thing?

Or maybe they simply are not that hungry!

I notice newer fish will do it more than established fish.

I have tried many different live foods like small maggots, meal worms and earth worms, all the discus would do the same thing! Gulp down the food, chew then SPIT!!!......

Give them time and soon once they are all relaxed will be eating like little piglets!

Cheers,
Ben

DR.V
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 07:34 AM
Hi Lichan, if you just add new fish to the tank, it will take some time for them to adapt with the new environment.

Sometimes new fish wont even eat for a couple of days. But when they're hungry they will start eating.

Good luck ^^

Lichan
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will wait and see what happens I guess. They look well so thats a plus.....These fish really are addictive - I love em and am going to have trouble explaining to my lovely wife where all our money has been going of late....

G-1000
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 01:47 AM
I have experienced the same thing with other fish and I find that it is usually because they either - dont like the food given or are genuinely full.

Such an occurence is very common in african cichlids when they eat too much...

G