PDA

View Full Version : discus schooling

rytis
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:29 AM
i want my discus to stay in a group and they did at first, but lately they seem all over the place and not together, which kinda sux... i was wondering if it's because they got used to being in the same aquarium? maybe i should change them from one aquarium to another every few weeks or so?

has anyone else tried this? how are other peoples discus schooling and for how long? do they keeps schooling in same tank after 4-5 months?

sammigold
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 04:00 AM
Rytis, I think you will find that discus and most other "schooling fish" will usually be more prone to schooling when they feel they are in danger. ie. safety in numbers.
You should be proud that your discus swim around separate to one another as I would say that they are feeling safe and happy enough to take a trip out in the world by themselves. They also school more if there are greater numbers but you don't want to overcrowd your tank so I would just sit back and let them be themselves. when they want to stick together they will and when they don't, they won't.
Fortunately (or some may think unfortunately), most living things have their own minds and it is not for us to force them into behaviours that suit us. It's like the old saying "lets agree to disagree" you can't make someone change their mind just as you can't make your discus swim the way you want them to. Just relax and enjoy them swimming the way they want to. :D :wink: HTH

electric molecular
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 06:10 AM
Hey Rytis,

I don't think your fish are unusual in their schooling, or lack thereof, habits. As Sammigold says, they probably just feel at home in your tank now. I wouldn't go disturbing them.

When I first bought my 6 discus a few months ago, a couple at a time, they did tend to stay closer together. But now my discus don't school, or if they do, it's very loosely. Though they do all hang out at the front of the tank at certain times, when they know food may be coming their way (which is often!) I have a pair that seem to be together a lot, without any friction. I find it interesting that as my discus are still growing, the dynamic in the tank keeps changing. There is a bit of minor sledging/chasing that goes on between them for territory and food. One that used to get bullied has had a growth spurt and has now turned the tables on the others. I don't know who to feel bad for?!!

Cheers,

Claire.

rytis
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:22 AM
hehehe thx. ur probably right