PDA

View Full Version : Fake Rock Aquarium Backgrounds

Dee
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 03:02 PM
Hi All,

Anyone know where to get the one piece ones of these ? to suit a 4x18x18 ... like the ones made by http://universalrocks.com.au/

If anyone has a tank set up with something similar, I would to see some pics.

Thanks

Dee :)

discusme
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 07:49 PM
Hi Dee,

Check this out:
http://www.aquaria.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/6_49/products_id/4024
Have a look at around the website. There are some other designs.

HTH,
Ronny

Dee
Sat Oct 15, 2005, 08:34 AM
Heya Ronny,

That's exactly what I was after mate ! :thumb: cheers ... I googled for ages but couldnt find anything :roll: Thanks again.

Anyone had any experience with these or similar ? any comments appreciated :D

Cheers,

Ben
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:48 AM
Hi Dee,
Something to think about mate.

I have known someone who had this style of rock in the back of their tank. The tank looks awesome with it, but a few times the fish were startled and scraped them selves a long the surface of the back ground. No fatalities occurred but some discus was serverly scraped and marked and a treatment of fungicide had to be administered.

The discus that this happened were juvinile discus, 6 months of age.
If you do go for this background make sure is smooth.

Something to think about Dee,
Cheers,
Ben

Dee
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 10:27 AM
G'day Ben,

Thanks for the heads up mate ! appreciate it !

Cheers,

Ben
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 01:40 PM
No probs Dee,
i guess it is just something to think about....

maybe a smoother surface would be ideal and would prevent any serious injury.

cheers
Ben

oscar
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:05 AM
Discus D,

A long time ago i had one of the first latex versions. Looked nice for a while but the texture/rock appearance started to come off after a while.

In recent past i've hade similar products as rock structures but not backgrounds. I think they look great. With regards to what Ben said, it is correct in that there is a risk but i usually have real rocks anyway so it's a bit of a moot point.

Something to look out for though is that they are hollow backed. You need to think about filter outlets etc, and that tank waste will accumulate behind it if your not careful about how you go about it.

I have a link for another supplier of a similar product but it's on my work laptop and i'm at home at the moment. I'll try to remember to forward it. I'm very busy at work at the moment and i may forget (temporarily) so if i don't have it posted by Friday feel free to PM me and make me do it.

Cheers.

Dee
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 02:13 PM
Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the info mate ... appreciate it ! How would one go about attatching one correctly ? I assume you silicone it onto the back wall, sealing around all the edges so no water can get through to the hollow back ? I cant find any info regarding installation :roll: That would be great if you could post the link you mentioned, no hurry though mate ... just when ya get a minute ! Thanks again

Cheers,

oscar
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 08:13 PM
Dee,

Here it is

http://www.pangeashop.com/

They have some pretty neat numbers where the background includes the side of the tank as well.

WRT installation, this page has an installation section.

What is interesting is this "The catfish Panaque nigrolineatus can not be hold in an aquarium with a Pangea background"

Dee
Mon Oct 24, 2005, 08:08 AM
G'day Oscar,

Thanks for posting that link mate, appreciated ! :)

Gee, they are some serious backgrounds ... impressive :shock: pricey too! Looks like my plans for a new tank are being put on hold for some time now :? Thanks for the post mate.

Cheers,

apalsson
Mon Oct 31, 2005, 05:52 PM
I have one of them that I am about to fit into my new 6' x 2' x 2' planted tank. It's "The Olgas" and it looks awesome. I bought mine from Aquamart in Sydney (Penrith), they gave me a better price than I have seen elsewhere.

I am not sure how I should go about fitting it in so I would love to hear from someone who has done it and can recommend on how best to go about it

Ari

G-1000
Thu Nov 03, 2005, 04:23 AM
I have previously had a rock background on a 3 foot tank - which resulted in a discus damaging its fins. I also found that the colour of the rock wall (medium to darkish brown) brought out peppering in the fish too

G