PDA

View Full Version : Fluval FX5

G-1000
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 10:08 AM
Hey Guys,

Can I get everyone's opinion on this Fluval FX5 canister filter ?

It looks and sounds awesome....

Has anyone used a canister like this?

Im drooling at the thought of it....

taksan
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 12:00 PM
I've got a couple ..... they are quite good.
Probably the best filter thats not a Eheim ....

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 03:33 PM
Just had one installed on a tank a few days ago.

So far, I'm very impressed. Very easy to prime and start, and the volume of water they push thru is awesome. Two multidirectional outlets give you great control over the water flow.

It's early days yet, but this filter is shaping up to be almost as good as an Eheim.

:P

Proteus
Wed Oct 19, 2005, 12:23 AM
From what I have seen they are a very solid unit.

we really are getting spoilt with some quality large filters these days (i.e. Fluval, E-heim, AquaOne)

AussieStar
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 11:28 PM
well i was meant to hae one 2 weeks ago when it was meant to be launched but now i have to wait casue they didnt realse the cd with it so they willnt give it to my LFS i was told, but u guys already have them, not happy, ringing the LFS now

apalsson
Mon Oct 31, 2005, 05:47 PM
I picked up one a week ago to use in my new 6' x 2' x 2' tank. I'm impressed with the apparent quality and also the enormous amount of media you can carry in it

Ari

nicholas76
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 12:07 PM
Been reading up on it rather heavily.

majority of forums that i can find generally dont trust another fluvol and believe the ehiem equivelant is a better quality buy.

interestingly time will tell with this product

check this out for oipen commentary on the product it might help you decide ya or nah

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/forum/viewtopic_1367.php

Benny
Mon Nov 14, 2005, 12:48 PM
I have a 10 yr old 203...

Never misses a beat...

its an utter b!tch to start, but works like a charm!!!

One clip of four broke, but we never replaced it, still seals perfectly, never needed an impellor or anything..!

Its excellent quality imo, but this was pre-hagen.. Made in italy?

G-1000
Tue Nov 15, 2005, 10:33 AM
Yeh,

Still the FX5 looks to be an awesome filter. I wont use it on my 4 foot since I dont think discus are very good at surfing lol

G

oscar
Wed Nov 16, 2005, 08:33 PM
I have seen the following data on a web page:

Aquarium capacity: 1500 litres
Pump output: 3500 lph
Filter circulation: 2300 lph
"The FX5 compact, super capacity tnksprocesses and recirculates fully 1500 litres of water every hour and..."

It all comes form the one web page, and i'm not too sure which number means what!

weird
Thu Nov 17, 2005, 08:21 AM
Fluval vs Ehiem, is beginning to sound like the Holden vs Ford argument to me ;)

nicholas76
Thu Nov 17, 2005, 08:34 AM
Lol it sure is Dave,

after having the fluvol I sure look fwd to giving the ehiem a go!

oscar
Mon Nov 21, 2005, 08:32 PM
Can anyone who has one give me approximate dimensions..LxWxH.

I'm going through the excercise of putting in a new 6x2x2 and am currently undecided regarding which cannister filter i'll use.

taksan
Sat Dec 03, 2005, 11:57 PM
I have seen the following data on a web page:

Aquarium capacity: 1500 litres
Pump output: 3500 lph
Filter circulation: 2300 lph
"The FX5 compact, super capacity tnksprocesses and recirculates fully 1500 litres of water every hour and..."

It all comes form the one web page, and i'm not too sure which number means what!

It means that its recommended for tanks up to 1500L capacity and the pump is rated for 3500L/ph and the filter circulates 2300 L/ph when connected up to a tank and filled with media.
I've got 3 of these.... and about 20 various Eheims and I'll say that the FX5 design fixes the problem Fluvals have which is clogging can cause bypass but it can't in this filter. The FX5's work very well indeed and even though they only hold 6 litres of biomedia they actualy have 20 litres plus of sponge so they act like a huge external sponge filter as well as a normal cannister. I'd rate them easily the best thing Fluvals done. Yes I'd prefer a couple of 2260's over a couple of Fluvals for reliability only but taking the price difference into account and ease of use, easier maintenence of the Fluval and a far better flow rate the Fluvals are better value for money at 1/3 the price of a 2260 if you include the cost of buying taps for the Eheim. The Eheim Pro 3 2080 is proberbly the best self priming big cannister out there but it has half the pump rating of the FX5 and its also over twice the price without media. I've got 4 of them and I have to say they are completely faultless in performance and ease of use. All that said I wouldn't hesistate to recommend the FX5 to anyone wanting a large affordable cannister.

Merrilyn
Sun Dec 04, 2005, 12:21 PM
I agree with Taksan. I'm running two of these at the moment, on the 8 foot tank, and I'll soon be adding another two to the 10 foot tank. The filter is easy to prime, and starts first time, every time. The filtering power is awesome.

karl
Mon Dec 12, 2005, 04:27 PM
hi gus re fluval fx5 orderd one to day for a 8x2x2 hap tank all i have to say about fluval filters is that ive had a 405 well over 12yrs and not a days problem if the fx5 is as good i think it is money well spent

Merrilyn
Tue Dec 13, 2005, 06:56 AM
I agree Karl. These FX5 are doing a wonderful job on my tank.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us.

endless
Wed Dec 28, 2005, 10:00 PM
Anyone know how tall the fluval fx5 is including the tubings and where can i buy them from?

taksan
Thu Dec 29, 2005, 10:57 AM
Anyone know how tall the fluval fx5 is including the tubings and where can i buy them from?

See Paul at Amazing Amazon in Springvale Rd They have the FX5 in stock and will do a great deal for you (try around $400) and as for the height its not as tall as a Ehiem cause the pumps at the bottom.

endless
Thu Dec 29, 2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks taksan

oscar
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 04:46 AM
Is everyone still pretty happy with their FX5's. With the ongoing tap leaking issue with my AquaOne 2400, i'm thinking of trying one of these on my 8-footer.

To those who have both 2400's and FX5's which do you rate higher?

Merrilyn
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 04:59 AM
Have to say I'm really pleased with the FX5s. I've got four of them running now, two on the 8 foot tank, and two on the new ten foot Jebo.

I still like the AquaOne, but if I was to buy another filter, it would be another FX5. It's quiet, reliable, pumps out a massive amount of water, I like the multidirectional dual outlets and the self priming feature. 10/10 in my books for a mid priced large filter.

oscar
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks LR,

I think i'll give one a go.

Cheers.

endless
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 01:03 AM
I just got the fluval fx5 and it fits in my cabinet. woohoooo!!

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 01:08 AM
Keep us posted on how you find it endless.

I'm delighted with mine.

oscar
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 01:33 AM
The FX-5 has arrived.

Will set it up tonight to see how it goes.

Must say that looks pretty neat. Not too sure about the claims of the super duper can't be clogged intake.

As for the AO2400 - i think it could come with more/longer (or even two!) hose(s). These filters are designed for big aquariums that are tall, long , have cabinets etc.

Anyway enough of that. As i said it looks good.

oscar
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 08:42 AM
I must say that this filter definitely has some smarts about it.

Because the pump is at the bottom, it's so easy to start. They really have the water flow design down pat.

There is also a bit of a presence about it. It just looks like it means business.

It'd be better if it had more bio-media room, but havingsaid that all that foam will definitely trap small particles. I run a LOT of bio in the other filter anyway, and minimal foam, so it's probably not a bad balance.

Personally not a huge fan of the output nozzles. Because the hose is flexible, when you look at the tank you can see it moving around a bit. You can always shorten it up a bit to stop the flex.

One bizarre thing...the man on the video tells you that the key to keeping the tank-end hose connections water tight...is to have them underwater...any takers?