PDA

View Full Version : Male infertile? Kev any idea how old that Marlboro male is?

Rossco
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:03 AM
My Red Melon laid eggs last week,they all went white :(

Today she laid again and slowly they are turning white (see through white)

Sad but is it that maybe my male Marlboro Red is infertile? geezz it would break my heart if he is.I am thinking he is infertile.

Or he is to young,Kev if you read this should that Marlboro Red male be old enough to be fertile? or is that male young? i hope you can remember the age of em.

I think i might look around for an adult fertile Marlboro Red,or a red solidish colour type discus.

I got the females,but the one (only) Male i got might not be good.

I will be patient but if i find out 100% the male is infertile i will cull him,discus like that should not be around.Or i will sell it as a ornamental Discus only.

endless
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:17 AM
dude dont cull him... if he really is infertile i'll be more than happy to take him off your hands but definately dont cull him

nicholas76
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:17 AM
rosco

how old are they?

can you post a pic?

white eggs - many causes

young couple, not getting it right, and water conditions are usually the two biggest reasons.

infertile discus is a possibility but let them try it a few more times before the white flag is flown.

ps how long do they do it for? 30 minutes? 60 minutes? does the male go over the eggs?? could you have a hit and miss? scenario?

cheers

Rossco
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:18 AM
i will let em try about 3 to 5 spawns then see what happens,takes about 1 hour for the 2 discus to complete there spawn.

Water conditions are spot on.
Male comes and goes when the female is doing her thing,he might need more experiance.

I more than likely wont cull him if he is infertile,i'll just make sure the buyer knows that i have had no luck from him.

Time will tell.

About age i am not sure,Kev from SLS might give me a rough age on em.
Its a large male though 5 to 6 inches.

Rossco
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:27 AM
Here they are.

nicholas76
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:07 AM
yep let them keep trying.

you may want to clean those dead eggs off as they will keep nursing them for days on end.

Ben - if you watching this interesting how once again the white faced fish is a female!

Proteus
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:07 AM
They look like young fish to me...

as they say, practice makes perfect...

:wink:

mcloughlin2
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:23 AM
Rossco , i got one of the 3 malboro reds SLS got in last time ... i asked george how old it was and he said around 9months ..

HTH ,

Sam ... :D

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:33 AM
Some of the res strains don't mature until around 12 to 14 months. You may recall some posts in here from Brew3, I think it was, who had a pair 14 months old, who weren't ready to breed yet.

So give them a bit more time, and check the hardness of your water too. Your water needs to be soft for breeding.

Good luck.

Rossco
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 12:29 PM
9 months?? dam how they grow em up so large at such a short time?

5-6 inch discus and only 9 months? by golly!!!

At that size one would think they are 1-2 years old.

Ouch, oh well,i guess i got some waiting to do.

see that spawning cone in my pic? thats the same cone i used 12 years ago when i had my hatchery :cry: (had to shut it down due to work and not having enough time)

will start my hatchery up again slowly.......and only a small hatchery at that.

12 years ago i made a good buck selling Cobolt Blues :wink:

Rossco
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 12:30 PM
oh...
Thankyou all for your replies and advice. :oops:

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 01:06 PM
Good luck Rossco :P

Ben
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 01:09 PM
Hi Rossco

If i got rid of my discus that were producing infertile eggs, after 3 or 4 goes i would not have any!!!

Mate, when keeping discus its all about patience!
My best breeding pair took around 10 goes to get it right, now they pump out spawn after spawn!

Just sit back and let nature take its course.

If after 20 spawns there are still infertile eggs then that’s the time to think about changing the male.

In the mean time keep up the good water changes and feed well with a variety of highly nutritious foods.

Cheers,
Ben

Ben
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 01:12 PM
Ben - if you watching this interesting how once again the white faced fish is a female!

Nick very interesting mate. Are these the only colour type where this variance occurs with different sexes?

cheers,
Ben

Dee
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:10 PM
Rossco,

Very nice pair, as the others have all said ... they are a young looking pair, patience is the key ! I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here ... but ... why would you even consider culling such a great fish, even if it is infertile ??? Best of luck with them mate, I hope the male performs ... for his sake :P

Cheers,

Dee :)

kevkoi
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 05:28 AM
These fish have never been bred... On a guess they would be 9-12months of age. Young fish. These were the biggest fish in that lot. Some of their brothers/sisters were only 3.5".

Give it some time... he might still be shooting blanks. The female red melon is an older fish from a pervious shipment.