PDA

View Full Version : Ageing Water - Less Chemicals

Lichan
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 07:36 AM
Hi Guys - I was talking to a freind recently who said he does not use any chlorine neutralisers in his water - he simple adds nothing - just straight Brisbane tap water aged/aerated for a day or two in a large barrel - he said this removes chlorine etc etc...
Is this correct?? and is there anything I should know or do before trying it. I dont want to harm my discus, but If I could do this I would be happy - I like to keep things as natural as possible ie less chemicals = happier fish and happier me. Hope that all makes sense.

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:47 AM
Chlorine in the water is not the only problem. It's true that chlorine will be removed by ageing and aerating the tap water for 24 hours or so, but that won't remove chloramine, which is a more stable form or chlorine.

Most of the water neutraliser products not only remove chlorine, but chloramine, ammonia and heavy metals too.

I agree with you, that the less chemicals you have in the water the better, but we have to remember that tap water is not like the water found in the natural rivers of the amazon. It has already been chemicaly altered before it reaches your tap, and therefore needs other chemicals to neutralise it.