PDA

View Full Version : swim bladder disorder

milt master p
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:33 AM
I have a discus that up until three days ago has been a pillar of good health for about 3 years. now she has a swim bladder disorder which I have diagnosed from several discus sites. These sites have said that very little is known about it and treatment success has been very poor. Can anyone help me?

sammigold
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 05:52 AM
What are the symptoms? do you have a photo you could post? I am sure that one of our wonderful experts will be able to help you in some way..

I'm sorry I cant offer much advice as my only experiences with swim bladder disorders in other fish have been negative endings. :cry:

Benny
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 06:09 AM
Sammi what happened to ur BD? i thought it survived???

I had a bd who headstood... I lost him in the battle, he had a white growth coming out his vent, i presume that blocked the tube from the anus to the swim bladder, and he lost control of his bladder, and lost all apetite as the growth continued to swell...

Pay close attention to the fishes vent, it might pay, with the advice of merrilyn (ladyred) to feel the fishes stomach bulge, as that will give us a somewhat better idea of what we r dealing with.. IF its constipation epsom salts are the go, if its a tumor of sorts, metronidazole is the go (especially if the fish is still eating), otherwise, i dont know what to suggest...

Pay close attention to the fish,
and keep us posted

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 12:27 PM
Hi miltmaster, can you tell me some of the symptoms that have led you to believe that your fish has a swim blader disorder.

Is the fish bloated in the gut area, or is he headstanding, or floating on the surface and unable swim to the bottom.

An idea for the fish's recent diet would be a help, as would your water conditions.

milt master p
Tue Oct 25, 2005, 04:35 AM
Hi Guys,
I lost the battle to try and save my female discus who was headstanding. She had swollen swim bladder similar to the photo in the link below.

http://article.dphnet.com/cat-02/headstand.shtml

I humanely euthenased her.

The strange thing is her partner is still in perfect health in the same tank?