PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Canister Filters

G-1000
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 12:46 AM
Which is your favourite maker of canister filters and why ?

Ben
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:45 AM
Eheim all the way for me!
I own and have ever used the standard traditional cannister type. they have never had a hic up and parts are easily available, not that i have ever needed any.

Cheers
Ben

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:57 AM
I have to agree with Ben on this one.

I'm currently running 4 different brands of canister filters. Out of all of them, the eheims are the only ones that never slow, when when they are nearing a filter clean, and run silently and never seem to miss a beat.

I'm yet to find anything as good as the eheim.

Benny
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 12:05 PM
I voted eheim, i only use aqua ones and a fluval, but if the funds permitted i'd be using eheims on all my tanks..

dreamer
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:36 PM
fluval is no cheaper than eheim ....

Benny
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 03:18 PM
my fluval is a 10 year old 203 ;)

cozmo1
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:25 PM
i was running a fluval 404 and my tank was always on the hazy side. i just hooked up an eheim 2236 and after 30 minutes my water is crystal clear :thumb

Benny
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 12:24 AM
i cant fault the fluval 203 besides the cr@ppy taps, and starting it... Filtration wise it hasnt ever missed a beat, and doesnt slow much as it clogs up.....

That said, i cannot fault my aqua ones either....

rytis
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 03:16 AM
i had nothing but problems with my fluval 404, ready to throw it out. will never buy anything again from those guys who sold me that piece of junk: it wont jumpstart.

Benny
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 05:12 AM
jump start?
the 404 is a filter, not a manual car!!

Stuart
Fri Oct 14, 2005, 02:55 PM
lol I have an assortment of external filters, including a number of fluvals. Even the old -03 series work great and any problems with cloudy water etc is a media problem not the fault of the filter.

rytis
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:36 PM
ok i took suggestion of this poll last week and ordered eihem, just got it 3 hours ago... it's not starting that easy btw, it started and running real quet and everythings ok, but it is NOT that easy to getthat water flowing at first..... just to let you know....

Benny
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:48 PM
Dude its easy to get any canister goin? esp if its new, just have the inlet tube in the tank, open the inlet valve and suck on the outlet to start the syphon.. then close the outlet valve, and organise the outlet piping... I have no issues starting a fluval 203 and theyre supposed to be the worst filters to try get going once u have opened it...

My aqua ones are a charm to start, i cant imagine eheim being difficult

Stuart
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 11:54 AM
I use a method for starting externals that I am happy to share. :)

I submerse a polythene bag in the tank and fill it with water. Then I hold the opening of the bag tight around the intake, make sure it's sealed well with my fist, and use the other hand to squeeze the bag - forcing water through the filter.

This works for me even with the most stubborun filters.

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 03:27 PM
Hey good tip Stuart.

Thanks for sharing :P

G-1000
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:47 AM
Ok everyone,

It looks like the absolute favourite here is EHEIM. Cant say I am suprised - but nobody voted for hydor ?

Ah well

G

klinikal
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 04:14 PM
Hi all,
Brand new to the forum and I am thrilled to have found such an excellent resource! I would like to jump into the fray with my thoughts. I have 2 Ocean Clear cannister filters running on my 120 with dual overflows. The reason I like them is that they are compatible with plumbed aquaruims. The model numbers are 340 and 370 with U.V. light on one. High capacity and flow rate. I look forward to meeting you in the future here on this forum. I can always learn more!
Chris

FishLover
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the good tip Stuart. I was having trouble starting my filters. This for sure will help.

kalebjarrod
Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:39 AM
i must say i have been impressed by the 2200 lt aqua ones

inexpensive, quiet and do a good job

i don't think they can be beaten for the price :wink:

Davo
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 09:21 AM
I have had an Eheim 2088 and a 2113 for 5 years on my 4x2x2 planted tank and they run whisper quiet and never fail.

I believe in the old saying, you get what you pay for.

Dave.

chris
Wed Jan 18, 2006, 04:14 AM
I might throw a spanner in the works and give Otto a plug ive used this canister in a 5 foot community tank and its never missed a beat. Its a bit hard to clean but for $180 bought online its great. Fluvals go alright too...

Dacs
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 03:26 AM
been running a sacem1000 and a sacem 2000 for 2 years... never a hicup and dead silent. My fluval 304 holds very little media in comparison. My mates Eheim i recon is just as good as my sacem.

chris
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 09:42 PM
Weve all got our favorites but recomendation and value to our canister might have to be also gauged on how long we have been using them?

My Otto canister has been Running 2 years with out missing a beat :wink:
My Fluval 204 3 years but only two days ago started to push air bubbles through the outlet. And make sounds like a washing machine... :twisted:

So I think I cant give a proper recomendations at the moment.
Even my Fluval internal filter makes a few strange noises.
Oh a I voted for Fluval :oops: