PDA

View Full Version : *** WARNING - Re: Clout ***

Proteus
Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:09 PM
A post has been removed which was advertising Clout tablets.

If any member enquired about this, it should be noted that Clout (Cyromazine, Deltamethrin) is a Lice, Blowfly strike treatment for Sheep which is gazetted as a prescription only product as per the APMVA (Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority).

This post is for informational purposes only, however the distribution, or advertising of such products will not be allowed on this forum.

goldfish
Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:16 PM
ahahaha,treatment for sheep!
just wondering,clout tablets is not suitable for treating aquarium fish?

Proteus
Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:22 PM
There is a weaker form of Clout which is available in the U.S. and some parts of Europe, however it is a banned import in Australia.

It is a lot weaker than the clout which is available locally, and the local stuff is not suitable for aquarium use.

Therefore, if it has been sourced from overseas, it has been illegally obtained and imported. And if it is the local product, then it is not suitable for aquarium use.

It should also be noted that even in the U.S. where it is available to purchase, it is not approved by the FDA.

It was also advertised at AU$2 a tablet, considering the U.S. product costs US$14.90 (AU$19.70) for 100 tablets... food for thought.

The Clout product available in the U.S. can also destroy the nitrifying bacteria in your tank and filter. (Google is your friend)

piranha-discus
Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:41 PM
he tried to sell illigal product for a big price to make big profit and that will kill our own fish!!! kidding?

Proteus
Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:47 PM
he tried to sell illigal product for a big price to make big profit and that will kill our own fish!!! kidding?

Hence why this warning is here.

As stated there are varieties of 'Clout' that are used in aquariums, however none are available in Australia (legally), plus, there are other issues which can be detrimental to the health of your aquarium.

Also, statements such as...

Treats Gasping for air, Rapid breathing, Flicking, Listless behavior, Excess Mucus production.

...need I say more

Gasping for air could mean elevated temperatures, ammonia in the water, etc, etc... to try and sell a product which treats such things is very dangerous.

At the end of the day we, or I cant control what people use or administer to treat there fish, however in situations such as this I would rather give fair warning prior to a fellow hobbyist having a problem far greater than they originally had.

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks for that warning Proteus.

I would hate to see anyone put this stuff in their tank, thinking it will cure a multitude of diseases, only to find it does more harm than good.

Please take care with medications folks. If in doubt, speak to your vet.

Our discus fish are too precious to risk.

goldfish
Wed Oct 12, 2005, 06:53 AM
thank you for informing us about this clout, it saves me time as i was thinking of buying it after reading the post about how it can help cure excess mucus etc.