PDA

View Full Version : question to breeders: what if i mix these.....

rytis
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 01:46 AM
(i think my post has been removed)
i am very curious if anyone who bred discus knows: if i breed a blue turq (lower right) with either red or yellow (top) should i get some with same beautiful stripes as blue parent but in yellow or red instead of blue? or would the stripes be less contrast because the other parent is plain color?

rytis
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 01:50 AM
in other words, what are the chance for me to get something like this as a result?
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/images/avatars/1742514825431c1efd68fec.jpg

dreamer
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 03:04 AM
close to none

wyldchyld01
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 03:15 AM
sorry to say but i have to agree, somewhere between buckley's and none, from what i've read on the forum, you generally get a percentage of your fry that wither look like one or the other and then a mixed lot of the two in the remaining numbers

not to say they wouldn't be good looking but you generally need to breed out colours and traits that aren't desirable over a few generations before you get a stable colour line

Brenton

rytis
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 03:54 AM
thx for responces, but i do have a gut feeling that something interesting will grow out if i mix one of thetwo above...

and im glad it's just "from what i've read on the forum"
maybe reality is different:)

Ben
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 04:27 AM
mmm.........

I think there will only be one way to find out!

Thats give it a go!

Merrilyn
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 07:23 AM
All of the different colours in discus were created by mixing known strains, and then back crossing to develop and fix the colours.

For instance, a pigeon blood was crossed with a cobalt blue to develop the White Butterfly strain. The best of the fry were then back crossed to remove the pigeon blood peppering and refine the colour. All this takes several generations, and the asian breeders are experts at it.

They also crossed a red snakeskin with a golden, and the resultant hybrid fry were crossed back to each other (brother sister mating) and resulted in the golden snakeskin that we have today.

Good luck with your breeding efforts.

We'd love to see the results of your cross.

You may have a new strain in the making.

discusme
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 09:47 AM
IMO, if you cross blue turq and red melon, you will peppered red melon, blue turq with less stripes, normal red melon and normal blue turq.

Here are the results of crossing malboro red (female) and blue fineline ss (male) (F1).

Cheers,
Ronny

Ps: hope you dont mind me posting pics here

discusme
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 09:48 AM
malboro x fineline ss

Benny
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 10:17 AM
Got a long way to go yet mate, ur fish look like theyre two inches or so..!!!

Interested to see the results, none the less

Benny

rytis
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 10:57 AM
thx all for replies.
benny, my fish are now from 2-5-6", and i plan to start breeding in march when i get back from long vacation...

discusme, too bad i dont know what a fineline ss looks like are they as striped as the one in my avatar?

ladyred, do u know any links where i can read all about this "back crossing" and "crossed back to each other" stuff im VERY curious!
so just from the ones i got now if i keep playing right, eventually in 5-10 years i may get white, yellow, red snakeskins?

and what is a hybrid i keep hearing about?

Merrilyn
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 11:25 AM
Simple genetics Rytis. Back crossing, or crossing back into the line simply means that the resultant offspring of a mating are either crossed with another sibling, or crossed back to one of the parents to fix a particular colour or pattern.

Out crossing is simply the mating of two unrelated fish, the result of that is called a hybrid.

A hybrid is not a fixed strain or line. You would need to do further matings to achieve that.

I suggest you google 'genetics' for more information.

Benny
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 11:25 AM
every modern strain of discus is a hybrid...

You dont see turqs, rgd's, and web snakeskins floating around in the amazon... Such brightly coloured fish imo would be fishfood to any predator in the waters..

Also could u write the length of your fish in a way that i can make sense of what u r trying to say.. Also do not include the length of the tail in the measurement, or if u do, make mention of it... Consistancy in measurements makes judging a fishes age much more simple....

rytis
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 11:44 AM
thanx! you guys wake up early.

A hybrid is not a fixed strain or line. You would need to do further matings to achieve that.
no wonder if you buy one thing (online, if not solid) and get another, coz they're inconsistent, right? the pic of the fish they took dont come out the same again....

Also could u write the length of your fish in a way that i can make sense of what u r trying to say
ACTUAL SIZES OF MY DISCUS
well, the turq (in my avatar and lower right) is i would say easily 5" high, and long now without a tail. yellow, red (looks like a pair) and blue all about the same just less massive...

then those browns sankes or whatever are about 4", honey/gold right in the middle is about 2.5", yellow w red fins is about 2.5-3" and i got this orange its no more then 2"

mcloughlin2
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 10:34 AM
Here is a good site to check out ... alot of of info on breeding,genitics and feeding and alot more stuff ...

http://article.discusnews.com/cat-02/genetics-1.shtml

I couldnt be bothered reading all that though .. to complicated .. LOL

IMO , to create a new strain u need very good quality fish...not just the average discus ... im not saying ur fish are average .... but im just saying u will need to breed some show quality discus into ur line to make a nice strain ...

The discus in my avatar , is a show discus though it isnt mine ... if u like i could try to get some info on it ... :wink:

nicholas76
Sat Oct 08, 2005, 04:12 AM
NIce growth on those lovely fish discusme!

now those babies are worth the effort!!

nicholas76
Sat Oct 08, 2005, 04:15 AM
thx for responces, but i do have a gut feeling that something interesting will grow out if i mix one of thetwo above...

and im glad it's just "from what i've read on the forum"
maybe reality is different:)

hehehe Rytis give us a call after you have spawned several generations worth! every discus keepers ultimate challange.