PDA

View Full Version : My discus laid eggs....what should I do now?

TeeFM
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 12:26 PM
My discus have laid eggs in the community tank. I have never had this happened. So excited....but also worried!

Can anyone please advise me what I should do now:
1. should I keep the light on at night?
2. what should I feed them?
3. how do I eventually transfer them to a breeding tank?
4. how often do I change water?

I will attach some photo for everyone to share my joy... :D

piranha-discus
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 01:38 PM
hey tee, im new on discus too, i only had for 2 months now, and i had 2 sets of babies already,
my tip what i had did was just leave those alone and it works, then at once feed on own i transfer to own tank by catching them in a cup to avoid to kill them, ben

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 03:22 PM
Tee, that's wonderful. We're delighted for you.

Now, to be honest, your babies have little chance of surviving in a community tank.

I allow my pairs to lay eggs two or three times in a community tank, during which time they learn to defend their eggs and form a strong parental bond. Very few of the babies ever survive. Most of the other fish in the tank will see them as a tasty snack.

When you have a breeding tank ready, transfer your pair and allow them to lay eggs again in their own tank. It quite often takes discus anything up to twelve times of trying to raise a brood, before they actually succeed.

YOu will find an article at the top of this forum, on Breeding for Beginners, which will answer most of your questions.

Well done. Your fish must be very happy and healthy to be spawning.

Keep up the good work.

Ben
Sun Oct 09, 2005, 12:16 PM
Any updates TeeFM?