PDA

View Full Version : canister filter substrate

skoom
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 04:05 AM
I would like to know what filter media/substrate do people prefer in their canister filters.

Matrix? Eheim? Any other???

I use both of the above but have heard that eheim offers a larger surface area for bacterial colonisation than matrix. Is this true? Does it make it superior?

Cheers.

skoom

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 06:55 AM
I use Eheim filter medium in all the filters. Just seems to work better.

africandiscus
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 08:36 AM
Sera is by far the best and you get a fantastic flow rate, but it is going to cost you cash. Eheim is a cheaper product.

http://www4.sera.de/site/products/product.php?id=208&language=en

skoom
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 04:13 PM
I thought eheim was already one of the more expensive products. how much does sera cost?

to be honest i am quite happy with the eheim, just that it's cheaper to run on Matrix and they claim it is a marvellous product.

any comments on Matrix?

Proteus
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 10:57 PM
JBL has the best surface area out of Matrix, Sera & e-heim. (JBL = 1500m2l)

1L of JBL MicroMec = 3L e-heim substrat PRO

spencer
Mon Oct 03, 2005, 03:26 AM
Hi there
Done a google on JBL Micromec, found nothing, is it avail in Australia or do you need to order from OS
cheers

Proteus
Mon Oct 03, 2005, 07:10 AM
All or most stores should be able to obtain it.

SLS always has it in stock, as I am sure would be the same case with other sponsors who carry JBL stock.

1L is approx $30 (I think)

oscar
Tue Oct 04, 2005, 08:06 PM
Speaking of cannister media, as a matter of interest can people pls give an indication of the full retinue of medias used in their cannisters.

Info would be best presented in a bottom layer to top layer scenario. (order in which the water passes through the layers) May even be handy to indicate if basket number in the filter, show show use of the void space at the bottom of the cannister, and where people are using multiple media per basket.

It'd be interestign to know what the varying set-ups are and how effective they appear to be.

Thanks guys.

skoom
Thu Oct 06, 2005, 02:45 PM
i recently reshuffled my AquaOne CF1000 filter.

from bottom up:

ceramic noodles in the bottom
Matrix
Blue sponge
Eheim Ehfisubstrate pro (i think its called that)
Black sponge
Cotton

I would like to know what ideally should be placed in the space at the bottom under the trays. I am concerned packing it with ceramic noodles may impede the flow. I once had bioballs there but have exchanged it for matrix, then shuffled the order.

I am yet to know its new efficiency.

cheers.

spencer
Fri Mar 03, 2006, 04:24 AM
Im confused with the order of the 4 baskets,
anyone have any idea of the best order to put them in top to bottom?

Max