PDA

View Full Version : Ph problems

mta
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 10:39 AM
Hi all,Im new to this Forum.Hope someone can help out.I have a massive 8 foot .I have 18 discus in there along with 50 Cardinals.My problem is that my ph is always at 7.4 and no matter what i do to reduce it to 7, it climbs back up again in a day.I have tried everything and the only conclusion i can come up with is the gravel.The gravel is midnight black.Does anyone no weather this gravel would be the problem.

Cheers

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 11:15 AM
Hello mta, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, I'm afraid it sounds like your black gravel is the problem here.

Simple test - 2 glasses of tap water allowed to stand for 24 hours, one with gravel and one without.

Test the pH of the water in both, and you should have your answer.

Then you need to decide if you want to remove the gravel, or try to balance things out with peat moss and large amounts of driftwood. Your discus will be much happier with a pH of around 7.

pitchblack
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 02:44 PM
I agree with LR black gravel will raise your ph I wanted to buy it but then I found out what your going through at the moment and gave it a miss

mta
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advice.Iwill try this out and see how we go.Cheers

mcloughlin2
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 12:53 AM
Yeah i agree with the others....there are some gravels that are made for african cichlids....some add minerals as well as boosting the ph of the water so they are definately not a good thing to have in a discus tank....

HTH,

Sam.... :D

endless
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 02:34 AM
yep i have 2mm midnight black gravel in my tank. Actually half my gravel is midnite black and half is normal inert gravel and yes it does increase the ph slightly. However i think it also keeps the KH at around 3dkh. If you're thinking getting co2 i would definately keep the gravel otherwise get new gravel or go half half like me

rytis
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:05 AM
i was wondering if anyone can suggest a good advice on what sort of bag to use to put a bunch of peatmoss (for lowering pH purposes)... like something with holes small enough so that actual particles wouldnt come out?

been trying to figure this out for months....
sock is way too big holes, filter bags 1 side good, 1 side too big holes.... :?

axelfaz
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:09 AM
hi rytis
try pantyhose it works well

cameron

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:51 AM
Now Cameron, how would you know that mate ????

Just kidding, yes, the good old pantyhose is the way to go. Put the peat moss in the panty hose, and run under the tap to remove any dust before placing in the tank.

duck
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 01:29 PM
Maybe it PH bounce,You lower the PH in the morning the afternoon it's back up where you started from.
I keep 9 discus in a PH of 7.3 and no problems,I also keep 5 discus with PH 6.3 and i really don't see any difference,The tank's are close to each other so i look at one then the other without moving :roll:

Ben
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 01:31 PM
Just don’t get caught like i did!!

Then you have to go down to the shops and buy your own, which i found a tad bit embarrassing!

Ben

axelfaz
Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:41 PM
lol dosnt everyone wear pantyhose its so smooth on your skin :shock:

Bill T.
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 12:47 AM
This is just a thought, but have you checked your kH reading? Even a small kH reading will inevitably lead to pH slightly above 7.0.

ozarowana
Tue Oct 25, 2005, 01:46 AM
It sounds like it could be the natural buffering (kH) of your water. It is typical for your pH to bounce back after about 24hrs. You need to find the right amount of pH down etc to add then take a measurement after 24hrs, repeat this process until you get the desired pH. Do in an water aging tank/container. Once you know the amount to add to get desired pH, remember this amount. After adding your pH will drop to below the desired level and then bounce back to desired level.

Since you have a large tank it would take lots of acidic compounds to "use up" the buffer and then be able to lower it. Also your pH may suddenly drop too low if you use that tiny bit too much.