PDA

View Full Version : Cannister Filters

oscar
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 09:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Not too sure if this should be here or in another location?

Anyway, i've been thinking about this for a while, and have been spurred into action by comments that are currently going in another post (Ladyred's New Tank Photo's).

When i put my two tanks together some years ago i went by the info from LFS regarding capacity of cannister filters, in relation to tank size. Since then i have alwaysconsidered the effect of the media, and build-up of filtered particle in the media effecting the flow rate through the filter.

I'm now at the point where i'm certain that my 1000lph cannister is too small for my 260L tank, and my 600lph is too small for my 200L based on the severe water flow restriction you get even only one week after cleaning the cannister out.

So, my question is...
Is something like the Aqua One 2200 caanister going to be too big for my 260L tank? I know it sounds big, but there is a quantum leap from 1200lph to 2200lph with nothing in between. And i'm almost thinking it may not be too bad considering flow restrictions mentioned above.

Secondly, all things considered, what sort of flow rate should i be going for for a new filter on the 200L?

Cheers.

taksan
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:22 PM
So, my question is...
Is something like the Aqua One 2200 caanister going to be too big for my 260L tank? I know it sounds big, but there is a quantum leap from 1200lph to 2200lph with nothing in between. And i'm almost thinking it may not be too bad considering flow restrictions mentioned above.

Secondly, all things considered, what sort of flow rate should i be going for for a new filter on the 200L?

Cheers.

I don't think a 2200 is too big ..... but its no all about flow its also about the amount of media that the water passes through.
My rule is I like to use 5-7 times the tank size of the rated pump capacity of the cannister filter. So a 200L tank would have a minimum of 1000 lph.
This is based on Eheim filters with pro media with other brands I increase that or add additional media.