PDA

View Full Version : Some Penang discus pics to oggle at..

kevkoi
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:15 AM
Well, some Penang discus pics taken recently during farm visits in Penang...

kevkoi
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:19 AM
some nice spotted leopards and spotted leopard snakeskins

kevkoi
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:46 AM
few more

mcloughlin2
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 06:05 AM
I WANT THEM!!!!!!!! :D

goldenpigeon
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 07:48 AM
fabulouse discus!!! i especially like the heckel hybrids! :P

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 01:35 PM
Kev what gorgeous fish. Love the albinos and the eruptions.

What a tough job you have, poor man ............not.

LOL

Mattzilla
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 09:19 PM
kev
can you get your hands on some of the heckel hybrids bay any chance? don't have to be a pair

if so what size and how much etc

cheers
matt

DR.V
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 08:01 AM
I love those Golden.... Do we have that in Sydney ??

flukes
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:28 AM
Damn Kev has got it...

Love the Hecks X turqs..

I feel a habbit starting again..

Benny
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 02:17 PM
Those heckel cross turqs are nothing short of amazin.. Love it!

kevkoi
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 03:24 AM
Bah... last time I brought in the baby heckel hybrids ppl wern't as interested. :lol: Guess it helps a lot to see the parents eh? :wink:

On the first visit, this farm had a heap of heckel cross fry available but I wasn't rushing for them. Last week when I visited again, EVERY LAST fish of that variety (all 600+) from 2.5" up to 1.5" were reserved by Taiwanese importer. A crazy price was offered and accepted for the parent stock (so yes that pair has found a new home elsewhere!... and they ain't coming to Aust. :cry: ).

Our style of buying/selecting the best 5-20fish of each variety is not favourable in Penang among the top breeders as they get importers from Singapore, Taiwan and Japan coming to sweep whole tanks full of juvenile fish without even batting an eyelid, and they buy by the thousands each month.

I generally pick up about 400-500 fish a month, pick thru their tanks for selected fish, I speak the lingo, pull lotsa strings and haggle heluva hard... :lol:, so I'm certainly not their favoured customer. :twisted:

Goldens are aplenty. Those are Golden leopards.... we don't see too many of them around because of the *bling *bling we are not willing to part with. They're a relatively new variant, so the asking price is still quite high. That said, I have brought in at least 20-30pc in the last 6months.

Here's a few more pics of fish from Penang.

Ben
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 04:25 AM
very interesting about those heckels kev,
now i know what the parents look like.
the 2 larger ones are growing well and strong.

cheers,
ben

Whoopee
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 08:40 AM
Hi Kev,

Hmm...those nice discus and pictures sure look pretty familiar! :lol:

Cheers!